Consultant for translation of practical manual for public grant schemes design
bosnia and herzegovina
The purpose of the consultancy is to contribute to the effective, strategy-informed and result-oriented management of public funds by sub-national governments in Bosnia and Herzegovina by designing a practical knowledge product, which helps advance the quality of public grant schemes preparation through offering standards and approaches affirmed in the European Union (EU) practice.
The main objective of the consultancy is to provide high quality translation of the process-based practical manual for public grant schemes from English to BHS languages, which is designed primarily for governmental institutions at all levels in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The practical manual will serve as first of its kind comprehensive source of technical guidance for senior public servants engaged in the design of public financing schemes in various sectors. Thus, the guidelines will contribute to high-quality public financial support abreast with the relevant EU standards and principles, which help translate strategies and priorities into tangible development results. In addition, the guidelines may set the broader contours of a streamlined and uniform operational approach to design of public support schemes across institutions and levels of government. In this regard, a national consultant will be engaged (hereinafter – the Consultant).
The consultancy is planned within the third phase of the ILDP (2017-2021), a joint initiative of the Government of Switzerland and UNDP, aiming to set in place and strengthen the development planning and management system in Bosnia and Hercegovina, with focus at sub-national government levels. The project is implemented in partnership with the Ministry of Human Rights and Refugees of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Justice of the entity of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Administration and Local Self-Government of the entity of Republika Srpska and both Associations of Municipalities and Cities.
Among other activities, the ILDP provides support to entity, cantonal and local governments to improve their development management and strategies’ implementation capacities and frameworks. As in other countries, one of the main tools used by government institutions to achieve certain policy objectives, offer public incentives for development, or operationalise strategies and transform them into development results, is the public grant. Government institutions at all levels allocate a significant volume of public resources through grant schemes (most often competitive), aiming to select beneficiaries/projects, which subsequently receive non-repayable public funding to implement the projects, thus contributing to achieving a wider policy goal in a given sector. However, due to limited institutional capacity, grant schemes are often poorly designed, lacking basic transparency and efficiency considerations, which ultimately results in poor development outcomes, non-transparent and inefficient utilisation of massive amount of public funds.
Against this background, the ILDP plans to address this capacity gap by preparing a comprehensive, yet practical manual for public grant scheme design, while also introducing basic standards and principles from the EU grant scheme design experiences (e.g. design of measures and public grant schemes within Operational Programmes financed by the EU Structural and Investment Funds).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ILDP Project Manager, the consultant will undertake the following duties and responsibility:
- Provide high quality translation of document from English to BHS languages and submit translation in Microsoft Word; Aproximatte number of characters in English version of document is 344,000;
- Ensure accuracy of terms and terminology used in the documents;
- Ensure consistency of the terminology and overall structure;
- Ensure translation is written in style, correct grammar and spelling;
- Consult with ILDP Project Manager when required;
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation.
- High quality translation of the process-based practical manual for public grant schemes; Final translation of the practical manual quality assured and validated by ILDP, 30 days, 30 September 2018, 100 %;
Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Generates ideas and seizes opportunities to support corporate strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behaviour;
- Respects individual/cultural differences; utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as work autonomously.
- Plans and ensures quality results to meet established goals.
- Formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Shares information openly with co-workers and partners while using discretion to protect confidences;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Advanced writing skills;
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently;
- Initiative and sound judgment.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Linguistics, Social Science or related areas;
- 3-5 years of professional translation experience;
- Proven skills in translation and interpretation from and into English and vice versa;
- Previous experience in translating and producing documents related to EU programmes and initiatives;
- Excellent communication skills in both English and BHS languages.
- Rating based on Qualifications - 21%, max 30 points;
- Proven skills in translation and interpretation from and into English and vice versa - 24.5%, max 35 points;
- Previous experience in translating and producing documents related to EU programmes and initiatives - 24.5%, max 35 points
- Financial: 30% ;
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: bosnia and herzegovina
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Translations and Languages
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-31