Internal Communications Consultant, Media and Communications Branch (MCB) of the Division of Communications and Strategic Partnerships
New York City (United States of America)
The Internal Communications Consultant position is located in the Media and Communications Branch (MCB) of the Division of Communications and Strategic Partnerships. The incumbent is responsible for initiating and managing internal communications work and channels, including the corporate intranet portal and the internal news magazine.
The effective communication of results is a corporate priority as outlined in the UNFPA Strategic Plan 2017-2021. UNFPA’s “One Voice” Global Communications Strategy aims to position the Fund as a valuable, vocal and visible development partner, and will engage stakeholders through timely and focused communications on programme impact and transformative results. Improving internal communications is a main focus of One Voice, which recognizes that staff who understand UNFPA’s vision and mandate are critical to a high-performing organization and results in more effective external communications.
UNFPA actively employs both offline and online opportunities to promote a culture of communications, dialogue and information exchange across country and regional offices and headquarters of the global organization. MyUNFPA, the Fund’s ecosystem of internal sites, and Voices, UNFPA’s internal newsmagazine, are two principal channels used to disseminate internal news and information, including key messages and from senior leaders. They also provide spaces for dialogue and information-sharing among UNFPA’s 4,000 personnel working in more than 150 countries. The incumbent reports directly to the Internal Communications Specialist.
The purpose of the position is to ensure that UNFPA staff speak with One Voice and as one, by:
- Planning, coordinating, producing and managing the internal newsletter Voices
- Developing and managing content for the internal platform myUNFPA
- Overseeing project development, from conceptualization through production, for both on and offline internal communications initiatives and/or products
- Assisting in developing and implementing internal components of the “One Voice” global communications strategy.
Major activities/Expected results
1. Plan, coordinate, execute and manage the internal newsmagazine Voices:
- Initiate, write, manage and edit written, photographic and video content, including feature stories, interviews and organizational coverage, for Voices — UNFPA’s internal online newsmagazine.
- Liaise closely with the Office of the Executive Director to ensure synergies with organizational priorities and to report on executive events, statements and other engagements.
- Liaise with Regional Communication Advisers, communication focal points and other colleagues in the field to ensure and encourage balanced regional participation and representation.
- Coordinate closely with other members of MCB to ensure synergies between internal and external communications.
2. Develop and manage content for the internal platform myUNFPA:
- Conceptualize, research, write, edit, clear, coordinate and proofread online content that is concise, vivid, and conveys key messages to target audiences.
- Liaise with colleagues across the Fund to ensure accuracy and timeliness of content including community posts, blogs, announcements and calendar events.
- Work closely with the interdivisional working group to ensure consistency and complementarity across the myUNFPA platform.
- Implement, produce and disseminate enhanced website analytics for internal communications channels (myUNFPA, Voices) on a regular basis to inform strategic decision-making.
- Promote the platform across the Fund as a democratic, informative and interactive space for all staff.
- In collaboration with external vendors, coordinate, track, report and ensure timely resolution of issues, bugs, and technical enhancements across the platform.
3. Oversee project development, from conceptualization through production, for both online and offline internal communications initiatives and/or products:
- Work closely with content focal points for internal communications products and initiatives across the Fund to ensure consistency in communications, participation in the overall internal communications framework and adherence to policies and guidelines.
- Work closely with colleagues in MCB and across other divisions, depending on the project, in all aspects of project development, from conceptualization through production.
- Provide advice, creative input, strategic direction and managerial skills as needed throughout the process
4. Assist in developing and implementing internal aspects of the “One Voice” global communications strategy by providing input and organizational support as needed
- Support Supervisor in designing and implementing internal aspects of One Voice as well as in the coordination of its implementation across the Fund.
- Foster a “community of practice” among regional and country office communicators, encouraging them to share information and otherwise collaborate.
- Organize, coordinate and deliver in-person and online training sessions for staff on internal communications tools and channels at the global, regional and country levels.
- Any other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Supervisor and/or Chief of the Media and Communications Branch.
The expected outcomes:
- Coverage of priority internal news and events on global communications channels, myUNFPA and Voices, is timely and dynamic.
- Senior management and business units are supported to effectively communicate and share information across the organization.
- Capacity at country and regional levels to contribute to global internal communication initiatives and channels is enhanced.
- Internal communications at all levels of the Fund is strengthened, resulting in alignment of messaging in One Voice communication.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in relevant field, preferably journalism, strategic communications, marketing, advertising or public relations is a requirement;
- 5 years of relevant progressively responsible experience in journalism, strategic communications, media, public relations, preferably in development;
- Demonstrated experience leading communications projects or campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience in corporate, organizational or change management communications;
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills;
- Understanding of and experience administering online Content Management Systems or websites;
- Understanding of G Suite (Google apps for business) desirable;
- Hands-on experience with video editing and production (Adobe Creative Suite 6), knowledge of HTML coding, video integration (YouTube) desirable;
- Initiative and sound judgment. Must be highly organized and have demonstrated ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team;
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of second UN language desirable.
- Commitment to UNFPA's Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Ability to produce (write or edit) fresh, accurate, jargon-free and reader-friendly copy on deadline.
- Creating visibility for the organization
- Job Knowledge/Technical expertise
Duration: 01 September 2018 to 31 December 2018
Applicants are requested to send a CV UN P-11 with "Internal Communications Consultant" in the subject line to: email@example.com by 6 August 2018
- Organization: UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Communication and Public Information
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Closing Date: 2018-08-06