Information Systems Officer
Background Information - Job-specific
The Office of Information and Communications Technology is responsible for defining strategic direction for ICT to the Secretariat. It provides oversight of ICT programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat’s overall ICT strategy. The team consists of more than 300 people operating global data centers and coordinating services provided by more than 4,000 people in UN offices worldwide. The Office is headquartered in New York and sits within the Department of Management.
The Office focuses on strategic, long-term improvements across the Secretariat, through:
- enterprise applications (such as Umoja, inspira, Mail, Self Service, Connections and Docs);
- new technologies and innovation (for example business intelligence, analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and blockchain);
- efficient management and development of its global ICT infrastructure (including lease lines and satellite communications);
- strengthening information security;
- project management frameworks;
- ICT governance; and
- establishment of ICT policies, architecture and standards.
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Officer will be responsible for project management, coordinating activities related to technical requirements, technical delivery and related administrative processes, advice to project teams; the incumbent will lead software development efforts for project teams composed of technical staff and provide technical advice to senior managers, Team Leads and other technical staff. The incumbent will perform the following duties.
- Manages projects involving feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development and implementation of new, moderately complex systems, and/or, acts as a team leader of a development team with responsibility for major components of the more complex systems.
- Develops project plans, detailed system and other functional specifications and user documentation for major systems.
- Provides specialized advice to users, analyzing users’ requirements and translating these into new applications; determines application systems integration and linkage issues.
- Maintains, upgrades or enhances existing user systems; troubleshoots and provides continuing user support, to include resolving difficult problems, advising on the use of new techniques, monitoring transactions to measure performance and continued effectiveness of assigned systems, etc.
- Develops and maintains computer programs that require integration of many interrelated systems and program elements; ensures appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area issues.
- Researches, analyzes and evaluates new technologies and makes recommendations for their deployment.
- Participates in writing reports and papers on systems-related topics, system requirements, information strategy, etc.
- Facilitates communications between GSD and its clients for good client relations.
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff, consultants, etc.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner certifications is required.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related area
- A minimum of five years of working experience as a project manager and hands-on demonstrated project management/ working in a multi-project environment
- A minimum of two years working experience and In-depth knowledge of any of the following modern database systems (MySQL, Postgres, SAP HANA, Hadoop)
- Working experience in writing and administering project plans.
- Experience with all elements of Software Development Lifecycle: Eliciting and documenting business process flows, use cases, requirements, quality management plans and user acceptance testing
- Experience utilizing a structured methodology such as PRINCE2
- Experience working in various UN Secretariat organizations as well as agencies is an asset. Familiarity with systems used in the UN, including their technical aspects and business functionalities.
- Experience using "Agile" methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban and/or Test-Driven Development
- Experience with agile software development and project management tools (Atlassian JIRA / Confluence) and ability to document work to meet project management requirements
- English and French are the working languages of the UN. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff Contract level: P3
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Vienna (Austria)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2018-08-14