CHILD PROTECTION & ADOLESCENT DEVELOPMENT TECHNICAL ADVISOR, BANGLADESH
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh) | bangladesh
This role is 6 month assignment with possible extension.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is in the process of registering in Bangladesh to begin full-scale country operations, focusing primarily on responding to the Rohingya refugee crisis in SE Bangladesh. As Mercy Corps undergoes the registration process, we will be working with international and local partners to reach 11,000 children and youth, and families. Through a seven-month program Mercy Corps will support 20 child friendly and youth community spaces to provide a range of services for the Rohingya community. The Child Protection & Adolescent Development (CP& AD) Technical Advisor to provides technical oversight and ensure high level program quality of the activities through our partner, Terre des Hommes (Tdh) as well as supporting program oversight and ensure meeting commitments to our donor and the community.
General Position Summary
The CP & AD Technical Advisor ensures the quality implementation of the child protection and adolescent development interventions at field level and is able to adjust to changing dynamics on the ground. This includes psychosocial support and case management and definition of tools and methodology. He/she offers technical assistance to the programmes and builds capacity of programme staff on child protection and adolescent development activities. He/she advances the child protection projects with particular focus on child and adolescent engagement, curriculum development and training, and formal and non-formal child protection and adolescent development systems strengthening. He/she represents and profiles Tdh child protection work at interagency level and works in close link with the subsector with the aim of harmonizing child protection approaches, alongside efforts to raise awareness of adolescent development needs and opportunities, for adolescents (10-19 yrs). It is anticipated this position will be seconded to Tdh
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Participate to Mercy Corps' Bangladesh Strategy and Emergency Response Plan.
- Responsible for providing in-depth technical support to ensure safeguarding practices and quality activities are implemented for children and adolescents, according to Mercy Corps and Tdh strategy.
- Provide input into shaping strategy and vision with Tdh and Mercy Corps for working with children and adolescents.
- Deliver technical on the job support to child protection and adolescent development teams in the child/adolescent friendly spaces including training as necessary.
- Review, support and monitor safeguarding practices in the CFS and with child protection and adolescent development teams as well as assist other Mercy Corps programs with the integration of child safeguarding in their work.
- Participate in situation analyses or needs assessments, strategic planning, project design, proposal review, in line with Mercy Corps and Tdh child protection approaches and methodologies.
- Contribute to the development of strategies, approaches, methodologies and tools related to child protection and adolescent development in emergencies, with a focus on Pyschosocial Support activities, Positive Parenting Skills, Case Management and Alternative Care.
- Integrate, promote and facilitate mainstreaming and implementation of child protection and adolescent development related approaches into Mercy Corps programming across the different programs.
- Take the lead in initiating and spreading innovative child and adolescent centered participation and engagement practices or models in line with Mercy Corps values and practices.
- Design specific tools/curriculums for psychosocial support activities with a focus on children and adolescent.
- Support the capacity needs of Community-based Organization (CBO) partners and community volunteer coaches to respond to adolescent protection needs
- Ensure child protection messages and information about available services are consistent with all Clusters; and are considered relevant and tailored to the needs of children/adolescents of different sex and age and their care providers
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps' and Tdh relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems that are disaggregated by sex and age to reach desired impacts.
- Fulfill Mercy Corps and Tdh Program Management and Gender Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps' Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, Child Safeguarding, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps and Tdh policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming and ensure proper operational systems for programs.
Innovation and Development with Child Protection Sector
- Support the development of multi-stakeholders and multi-disciplinary strategies to strengthen harmonized child protection and adolescent development programming and ensure integration of child protection and adolescent development protocols, ethics and methodologies
- Contribute to the development of innovative solutions for the protection of children and adolescents through active participation with the Child Protection Sector and other actors.
- Document child protection practices, share knowledge, lessons learned, promising practices, in coordination with the Child Protection Sector.
- Identify, build and manage partnerships with partners, donors, local governments, and other stakeholders as a Mercy Corps technical advisor
- Develop and ensure compliance with security procedures and policies.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility N/A
Reports Directly To: TdH Child Protection Coordinator and Mercy Corps Bangladesh Team Leader / Country Representative
Works Directly With: Bangladesh team, HQ Youth Technical Team, other HQ and in country stakeholders
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in International Development or related field and MA preferred.
- Three to five years of experience in a similar position in the field and with refugees/IDPs.
- Solid proven expertise in Child Protection (PSS and Case Management) and adolescent development.
- Confirmed experience in developing and designing methodological tools and delivering trainings in child and adolescent protection.
- Field experience of working directly with children and adolescent.
- Experience and methodological knowledge on child and adolescent participatory processes.
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response.
- Experience of working in a highly collaborative environment with minimal direct supervision in a complex setting.
- Well-developed team leadership qualities with facilitation, networking and advocacy skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills.
The successful CP & AD Technical Advisor will skillfully represent programmatic priorities of the agency to government, donors and regional partners while providing effective leadership to the Terre des Hommes child protection team in the refugee camps. S/he will be capable of multitasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. The CP & AD Technical Advisor will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position will be based in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh with significant travels to the camps locations where Mercy Corps and Tdh team members are working and/or projects are implemented. This is an unaccompanied position, not eligible for hardship allowance. As we are currently under registration, this position will initially be converted to a consultancy. Housing is readily available and will be individual.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps' vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh) | bangladesh
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Project and Programme Management
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-08-21