Radio Operator - (only open for Afghan nationality) - Job Location: Jalalabad - Afghanistan
Purpose of the Job:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Radio Operator role will assist to operate and monitor UHF, HF radio systems, vehicle and personnel tracking systems, CCTV, e-mail, vehicle booking systems, satellite telephones, mobile telephone and internal phone systems, in English and local languages.
The Radio Operator will send message through bulk SMS system to all staff when there is an incident, also he/she will conduct headcount if necessary. Radio Room will be a connection with staff, and staff could get in touch if necessary.
- Operate Motorola VHF, UHF and Codan HF radio systems, GPS/GSM tracking and associated web platform, email, Thuraya, mobile phone and internal phone systems; in English and local languages,
- Log all communications neatly and accurately,
- Maintain location boards tracking NRC staff and vehicles,
- Alert security focal point/s of important events, by monitoring internet, TV and radio news in English and Persian, as well as via security alert systems.
- Control keys to all office spaces in off duty hours.
- Ensure that all radios and other communication equipment in the Radio Room are working properly and regular maintenance are done. Report the faults as they arise and get them fixed.
- Coordinate with transport section for facilitating the transport for staff and visitors.
- Radio Operators should be aware of every single event or issue that happens during their duty.
- Radio Operators should check the Radio Room’s emails at least every ten minutes.
- Radio Operators are responsible for conducting an accurate and complete handover briefing, including all information that occurred during their duty or will impact the other's duties. The handover note should be passed on to person replacing you and your immediate supervisor. Refer to Operator SOP for details.
- Radio Operators are responsible to communicate any problem they face to their immediate supervisor.
- Radio Operators should monitor EM-NET and TV stations and communicate any announcement or incident to the security department.
- Radio Operators are responsible for drafting and distributing SMS announcements to all staff at the request of a member of the security department, and announce the same information to all the drivers via VHF/UHF, and HF/Cell phone if VHF/UHF is out of range. SMS's should follow this format: “Security Alert: 0000hrs; Date; Incident; Advisory.”
- Fulfilling any other related tasks that may be assigned by supervisors, NRC Security Department.
- Bachelor Degree in social sciences or related.
- A minimum of 3 years of non-profit or NGO work experience within international humanitarian assistance programs.
- Advanced knowledge in communications technology, including, satellite communications, cell phone, etc.
- Good knowledge of city and general area in assigned location, and the provinces of Afghanistan, ability to read and interpret maps and operate Google maps or similar.
- Able to structure his or her thoughts and make an accurate and complete summary of a situation, under time pressure, at any time of day or night.
- Must display intelligent ability to arrange vehicle moves to make best use of available assets and time.
- High attention to detail and ability to neatly complete assigned paper work.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation and skills.
- Computer skills – database knowledge essential, wireless networking.
- Trouble shooting’ skill with electrical, radio and computer systems.
- Well presented, confident, and sensible.
- No other employment is allowed, operator may be required to work at any time of day or night and on any day of the week, at short notice.
- Written and verbal English essential.
- Education title: Bachelor Degree in social sciences or related
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labow Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Jalalabad (Afghanistan)
- Grade: Junior
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-08-07