VN 2018/175 (P) - Operations Officer (P2) - Niamey, Niger
Position Title Operations Officer
Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 07 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Implemented in 14 countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia) through 14 specific actions, it aims to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help in improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, and support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative will aim to strengthen the technical and material capacities of authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over the policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants developed and/or strengthened in the Page 1 / 4region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region. The International Organisation for migration (IOM) is committed to the principle the humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. IOM acts with its partners in the international community to assist meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants. In Niger, IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of assisted voluntary return of migrants as part of the Migrants Response and resource Mechanism (MRRM), providing dignified and informed return solutions to migrants transiting through Niger and/or returning from Libya and Algeria.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Project Manager (SURENI), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for carrying out duties related to the operational activities of the return and reintegration programmes and any relevant activities in IOM Niger.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the timely delivery and implementation of all land transportation strategies related to the movement activities of the mission’s return and other movements programmes, particularly, in close coordination with the Government of Niger, Government officials, the Resettlement and Movement Management Division (RMM), and the Migration Health Division (MHD). 2. Coordinate all IOM Niger land movement operations activities related to return, including humanitarian evacuation, repatriation, and other movements, e.g. in country land transportation, International transportation by route, visa support, counselling and orientation, and return emergency response including coordination with different transit centres in Niamey and IOM missions.
3. Contribute to maintaining a positive working relationship with IOM partners, including government officials, officials of resettlement countries, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), and other key partners. Undertake duty travel relating to overall programme coordination and liaison with counterparts.
4. Draft financial and other types of reports and make recommendations regarding the progress of travel projections and security measures.
5. Coordinate with the local transportation company in Niger, in relation to the planning of internal and external land transportation movements; and prepare all related financial payments to the operational activities of the return and reintegration programmes and any relevant activities in IOM Niger.
6. Assist in overseeing the operational staff, provide training, support, and guidance in the usage of the in-house system application tools, including MiMOSA and MARS. 7. Assist in country-wide coordination of the programme. Implement measures to maintain a high level of integrity consistent with the principles stipulated in the IOM Movement Management Manual (MMM), follow up with programme implementation and monitoring. 8. Follow IOM instructions and guidelines on project monitoring methodologies in areas inaccessible to IOM staff. Suggest further refinements in these methodologies. 9. Compile, complete and submit monthly reports reflecting the number of movements under the return and reintegration programmes.
Page 2 / 410. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Communications, International relations, Social Science, Political Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in field of migration issues, project design, management and implementation, and administrative and financial management;
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Excellent report writing skills; • Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking; • Proven accuracy when handling and reporting data;
• Self-reliant individual with strong commitment to operational objectives. Expected to work overtime upon request and independently to achieve operational goals;
• Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations, is an added advantage; • Work experience in the region is an asset;
• Strong practical computer skills, including but not limited to MS Word, Excel and MIMOSA is required.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Page 3 / 4Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 25.07.2018 to 07.08.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/175 (P) - Operations Officer (P2) - Niamey, Niger (55585984) Released Posting: Posting NC55586000 (55586000) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey (Niger)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-08-07