Internaional Intern, Evaluation Section, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
UNICEF Cambodia is looking for international interns to join our Evaluation Team for a period of 3-6 months in 2019. We offer supervision, access to information, engaging working environment and the possibility to work FOR EVERY CHILD. UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourage qualified candidates from all background to apply.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, evaluation.
UNICEF began providing assistance to Cambodia in 1952 and has been working since then to improve the wellbeing of Cambodian children. UNICEF established its first country office in 1973 in the capital of Phnom Penh. More information on what we do in Cambodia is available at https://www.unicef.org/cambodia/.
How can you make a difference?
Under the guidance and supervision of the UNICEF Evaluation Specialist, the Evaluation Intern supports the effective implementation of UNICEF Evaluation Policy, evaluation requirements for the Country Programme and more broadly the generation of evidence to help UNICEF achieve better results for children. The Evaluation Intern will have an opportunity to work in close collaboration with Programme and Operations Teams in the UNICEF Cambodia CO and will learn how to ensure that evaluations of programmes and projects are timely undertaken and that findings and recommendations are implemented and followed up on. It is expected that the Evaluation Inter will apply the latest thinking and resources on evaluation to help generate credible evidence and promote evaluation use through innovation and knowledge management.
In close collaboration with the Programme and Operations Teams within UNICEF Cambodia, the responsibilities of the Evaluation Intern will include, but not limited to, the following:
- Make professional contributions and provide technical assistance to ensure that major evaluation activities are well-prioritized and they provide the most relevant and strategic information to inform the Country Programme, including assessing UNICEF's contribution.
- Provide technical support and inputs into the drafting of Terms of Reference (ToR) for evaluation activities with a view to ensure that ToR meet UNICEF standards.
Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of evaluation planning processes (i.e., prepare evaluation frameworks, compile background documents, identify key informants, prepare evaluation missions, etc.)
Evaluation management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Review and provide technical comments on draft evaluation reports to ensure that they meet UNICEF reporting standards.
- Keep record of comments provided to draft reports for easy reference and/or to ensure that comments are properly incorporated and addressed by external evaluators.
Participate in programme monitoring and review exercises and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by senior management and other stakeholders on the implementation of management responses to evaluations.
Innovation and knowledge management
- Identify, capture, synthesise and share lessons learned from evaluation for knowledge development through cutting-edge summaries, video-infographics and on-line blogging.
- Submit electronic copies of evaluation reports to HQ through the Evaluation and Research Database web-portal and explore opportunities for publishing findings and recommendations emerging from evaluations into academic journals and on-line platforms for evaluation.
- Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting edge practices in the evaluation sector (i.e., child-led evaluation, developmental evaluation)
To qualify as an intern for every child you will have…
- Currently enrolled in a graduate (Master’s) or undergraduate (Bachelor’s) degree in the area of Public Policy and Administration, Anthropology, Sociology, Development Studies, Applied Research, Evaluation or other relevant Social Science also considered.
- Demonstrable proof of excellent academic performance.
- Demonstrable excellence in verbal, written and interpersonal communication in English (including active listening and information synthesis and strong writing abilities).
- Strong understanding of results-based management, programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and team working skills and ability to work within a multi-cultural team.
- Respect for UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, and Integrity.
Duration of the assignment
- Desired role period 3-6 months, Mon - Fri (full time- 5 days per week)
- Please clearly indicate your availability in your application.
Conditions of the Internship:
Interns with UNICEF may be remunerated with a living allowance, depending on circumstances. However, costs associated with the internship are usually borne by a nominating/related institution/government, or by the intern, who is expected to cover his/her own accommodation and livings costs as well as travel to and from Cambodia, including necessary visas, etc.
To view detail Terms of Reference for this assignment, please click here ToR- International Intern, Evaluation Section.pdf
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
- Grade: Internship
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2018-08-31