National Rule of Law Officer
- A joint UNDP UNICEF/UN Women project to improve living conditions for women and children in detention in Yemen, including improving physical conditions (such as water and sanitation repairs), support the rehabilitation of detainees with psychosocial support, education and vocational training, reintegration support and build knowledge of corrections staff on treatment of prisoners in accordance with human rights principles. The project is titled ‘Responding to protection needs and supporting resilience in places of detention’.
- Anticipated funding for a community based access to security and justice project in four governorates of Yemen, with potential for further expansion to other areas. The project uses a bottom-up approach that relies on targeted assessments with local communities as well as police, justice personnel to identify the most pressing safety, security, protection and justice needs, in selected communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure effective advocacy, planning and programming, capacity building, representation and monitoring and evaluation of project activities;
- Monitor and take actions in admin/finance and logistical issues. Coordinate the work of the project components;
- Ensure effective and efficient financial management of project funds;
- Ensure effective implementation of the project activities in Aden;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Collect data, monitor and measure the status of implementation for quarterly and annual reports and support the Monitoring Officer in the production of such reports;
- Ensure and assist Rule of Law Partners to submit high quality reports on time;
- Coordinate with the Monitoring Officer and Programme Analyst for the production of reporting formats to assess, monitor and measure outcomes, outputs and results of the project activities implemented by the counterparts in line with the signed agreements;
- Prepare reports, work plans, regular donor progress and impact reports for the project;
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to project sites, ensuring project documents are in compliance with UNDP policies and procedures and reporting on Project progress and constraints;
- Develop relevant agreements, including but not limited to Letters of Agreements, Micro-Capital Grants and Responsible Party Agreements, in support to implementation of activities with national counterparts;
- Follow up risk mitigation and engagement plans and ensure risk is mitigated and reduced;
- Provide admin/financial and logistical support to the police and justice teams;
- Provide monitoring and evaluation of project partner’s performances;
- Coordinate UNDP’s work with the UNICEF and UNWOMEN to advance rule of law, maximize impact of UN interventions and “deliver as one”, minimize overlapping activities and to enhance security and protection for all Yemenis;
- Day to day follow up of the implementation of the activities under the LoAs and MGAs in respective regions/member states;
- Assist Agency partners to effectively communicate to the Project Management.
- Ensuring accountability of use of project funds for their respective areas in Aden;
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager and Programme Analyst, undertake financial management of the project activities, including monitoring Project financial expenditures and transactions;
- Ensuring the integrity of financial system and, overseeing the administrative, financial and budgetary aspects of the project activities;
- Ensuring that project resources are used in a balanced way that confirms the application of the Human Rights Based approach and contributes to peace building.
- Providing technical inputs in drafting concise and analytical project proposals, budgets, reports, research, strategy papers and presentations in English relevant to the functioning of the rule of law system, and in line with work-planning;
- Provide thoroughly researched information for formulation of project activities, preparation of draft project documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements, etc;
- Analyze and identify programmatic, operational and financial problems, and develop and suggest solutions;
- Provide substantive and substantial inputs to the reporting, visibility and communications needs of project, including preparation of clear and concise reports and power-point presentations, when necessary, for various donor reports, donor briefings, meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.;
- Working with government officials under guidance of senior UNDP staff in Aden, serving as a liaison between government officials and the Project Management;
- Facilitating day-to-day management of Project activities; covering all phases of the project and adhering to the Project Document and quarterly work plans;
- Facilitate/Organize trainings for partners on Project issues;
- Facilitate training the project partners on thematic issues such as report writing, LOA management, proper office filling and record keeping and other areas that shall be identified with the national partners.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Project Management.
The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is create;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- IT competencies in Word, Excel, Power Point, and internet
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, values, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time.
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development.
- Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Is motivated and demonstrates a capacity to pursue personal development and learn.
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Law, Economics, Business Administration, Development or related field with 3 years of relevant work experience; OR
- First level university degree in the above, and 5 years’ relevant work experience will be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience at the national or international level in international development issues
- Proven Project management experience and good understanding of Project Cycle Management is a requirement;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is a requirement.
- Work experience within the UN or international organizations is an asset.
- Work experience with rule of law system in Yemen is highly desirable.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: aden
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Democratic Governance
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2018-08-07