Junior Communication Specialist
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors. Established in December 2012, the UN Women Country Office for Jordan works in close collaboration with the Government of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the UN Country Team and the Civil Society to advance the women’s national agenda, promote women’s empowerment and gender equality. Supporting the achievement of its strategic and programmatic objectives, the Country Office develops and executes on a regular basis goal oriented communication strategies and outreach tools based on audience research, message framework, and core content to increase brand awareness, knowledge sharing and outreach.Within this framework, UN Women Jordan is seeking communication services to support the production of a range of communications materials for UN Women, including for the Jordan Country Office website, and for online and offline audiences. This will include providing support to partners in delivering on agreed communication endeavors, by monitoring closely performance and progress against the communication plans in line with donor visibility requirements. The overall supervision of the role will be under the responsibility of the Partnership and Advocacy Analyst (Partnership and Advocacy Unit) in UN Women Jordan. The Unit is responsible for producing and disseminating information about UN Women as well as issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment to external audiences, as well as facilitating the flow of information within the organization, ensuring efficiency information delivery, broad sharing of knowledge and development of outreach products.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work and Deliverables:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide communication advice and support to partners
- Sustain regular communication with partners towards the establishment of a predictable editorial and media calendar;
- Support the Country Office in monitoring progress on agreed communication plans with partners and review draft material submitted, facilitating the finalization of content in line with UN Women and partners visibility requirements;
- Coordinate communication activities between the Country Office and partners, providing guidance in terms of alignment with corporate and donors branding requirements and guidelines;
- Build and maintain a depository of communication material developed by partners for reporting purposes.
Oversee and maintain the Country Office website and produce information materials for public outreach
- Draft news articles, impact stories and other relevant outreach material for the Country Office’s website and to contribute to RO and HQs editorial series;
- Oversighting the website functioning and ensure regular updates technically and editorially;
- Contribute to tracking the impact of the Country Office media outreach and impact for reporting purposes and to inform outreach planning and strategies;
- Support the review and development of media content and other relevant communication material, including videos, briefs and reports to ensure alignment with corporate branding guidelines;
- Provide in-depth insights about the programmatic impact and results of UN Women’s work in the field through news and feature articles, event coverage, presentation of report findings, etc.
Support the Country Office in the implementation of its communications strategy and program-related visibility plans
- Support the organization advocacy campaigns, events and outreach initiatives with quality communication services and development of outreach material;
- Provide strategic inputs for innovative communication and visibility for the programme priority areas in line with partners’ visibility requirements;
- Provide inputs to UN Women quarterly reporting on communication activities and draft analytical reports for partners’ communication reports.
Provide timely support and assistance in developing and implementing social media plans, help coordinating the development of different online assets and social media packages.
- Produce weekly online assets and content for distribution on social media, integrating communication material from implementing partners;
- Support the development of social media content for relevant international days, events, and advocacy campaigns.
- Produce visual assets for use across social media platforms (created in Photoshop/InDesign and through other tools). Coordinate the development of more complex visual assets, including videos.
- Quality and timely guidance and support to partners towards the implementation of communication plans and endeavors
- Quality and timely content for the Country Office’s website
- Design and branding communication content in line with corporate standards
- Support in the implementation of the Country Office’s communication strategy
- Produce weekly social media content and visual assets
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills;
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Ability to communicate sensitively across different focal points;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with the operating context.
Required Skills and Experience
Master degree in journalism, media and communications, international affairs, social sciences or other relevant areas of expertise or Bachelor degree with 2 additional years of relevant work experience.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in communications, advocacy, editorial planning, writing and editing on issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Previous experiences in supporting website development and management.
- Experience working in the UN System or other international organizations in similar assignments is an asset.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application:
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Lump-sum financial proposal (which includes a breakdown of daily rate fees)
- Personal CV including experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for this job (max 500 words)
Noting that, only applications which include the above, will be considered.
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: amman
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-07-30