SVN 2018/179 (P) - Staff Counsellor (Humanitarian Hub (HH)) (P3) - Maiduguri, Nigeria
Position Title Staff Counsellor (Humanitarian Hub (HH))
Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
The North Eastern part of Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. More than two million individuals have been displaced as a consequence of the intensified attacks by the insurgents, as well as the counter-insurgency activities of the Nigerian Government, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States. In order to support the Government of Nigeria strengthen the humanitarian response in the North east, the Humanitarian community is working towards expanding its scope of intervention beyond Maiduguri into priority satellite sites in newly accessible areas. The Humanitarian Hub Project will support the provision of counselling services to Humanitarian staff delivering services to beneficiaries in the conflict-affected areas, in Maiduguri and other Local Government Areas (LGAs) that are currently accessible.
Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct thematic supervision of the IOM Staff Welfare Officer (technical and professional supervision) and the administrative supervision of Project Manager (Humanitarian Hub (HH)), and in coordination with the Human Resources Officer, the Staff Counsellor will be responsible for implementing the agreed work plan.
Page 1 / 4Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide psychological counselling and support to Humanitarian staff and dependents in IOM Nigeria. This will include assessment, confidential one to one and group sessions. 2. Provide psychological and counselling support to humanitarian staff post critical incidents and other emergencies.
3. Assessment of humanitarian staff who are in crisis and require emergency psychological and/psychiatric support.
4. Develop and provide training on relevant topics including stress management, emotional processing, dealing with critical incidents, wellbeing.
5. Produce psycho-educational material for dissemination, e.g. vicarious trauma. 6. Support the development of a peer support network for humanitarian community in IOM Nigeria.
7. Work with colleagues to develop preventative initiatives, e.g. preparing for critical incidents. 8. Offer managerial consultations to relevant agency managers on ways of enhancing humanitarian staff wellbeing and mental health in accordance with the IOM Mental Health Strategy.
9. Collaborate with colleagues in UN/INGO staff in relevant sections, e.g. UNDSS, Staff Welfare, Human Resources etc.
10. Ensure that Country Office security plans include provisions to provide for the psychosocial needs of staff during emergencies and following critical incidents.
11. Identify and liaise with local regional mental health resources that can be used for referrals or in times of crisis.
12. Ensure that reports and other administrative duties are carried out to a professional standard.
13. Refer humanitarian staff to outside mental health professionals or facilities, as recommended.
14. Undertake duty travel to very challenging areas when necessary.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology, Counselling, Social Work, Other Mental Health Profession or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. • Must be a licensed or registered clinical psychologist, counsellor, social worker or equivalent in their country of origin.
Page 2 / 4Experience
• Progressively responsible professional experience in the field of mental health is required; • Experience with other UN Agencies, International Humanitarian Organizations, or Employee Assistance Programs considered essential;
• Experience working in hardship duty stations or providing counselling services to staff working in very difficult and hazardous environments, desired;
• Additional training, certification, or experience in a range of related fields, such as alcohol/substance abuse, stress management, criticalincident stress management, cross-cultural communication, conflict resolution, trauma, etc. will be an advantage. Languages
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Page 3 / 4For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 26.07.2018 to 08.08.2018
Requisition: SVN2018/179(P)-StaffCounsellor(HumanitarianHub(HH))(P3)-Maiduguri,Nigeria (55587982) Released
Posting: Posting NC55588003 (55588003) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey (Niger)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Human Resources
- Medical Practitioners
- Closing Date: 2018-08-08