Internship Division of Programme Support and Management (DPSM)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR INTERNSHIP
Organizational Unit: Division of Programme Support and Management (DPSM)
Duty station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration of the internship: 6 months
Expected start date: as soon as possible
Background information/Organizational Context
The WASH (Water, Sanitation, Hygiene Promotion) Unit in the Public Health Section in the Division Programme Support and Management (DPSM) objectives are to reduce morbidity and mortality among UNHCR's populations of concern and to improve their quality of life. The task of the WASH Intern is to support the WASH Unit in delivering quality technical support to field operations in terms of provision of WASH services to persons of concern.
Benefits of undertaking this internship assignment include:
- The intern will have a practical understanding of the work of UNHCR WASH practitioners, including exposure with colleagues and country level;
- Will be exposed to different high-profile projects such as integration of MHM practices in WASH activities globally, urban WASH for refugees etc.
- Will acquire knowledge on the use of communication and advocacy tools targeting the different stakeholders in the humanitarian context;
- Will better understand the work undertaken by UNHCR on providing WASH services to the population of concern;
- Will understand that providing WASH services guarantees the protection of the beneficiaries, and that it is a major component in all UNHCR responses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of global trend reports, with global and regional indicator maps, providing at a glance main indicators, budget and staffing per operation. This is a follow-up on the work prepared by the previous intern, and will translate into the publication of the global trends report, to be potentially released on world water day
- Consult the different WASH operations worldwide to establish a mapping of MHM projects/practices, capture lessons learnt and share good practices globally. All WASH colleagues will be contacted by email/phone, and the main deliverable will be a map of activities/practices
- Map out and report on WASH services for urban refugee caseloads, gathering as much information as possible on this under-documented topic. All WASH colleagues will be contacted by email/phone, and the main deliverable will be a map of activities
Minimum qualifications required
- WASH-related background (Engineer) desirable;
- Strong interest in and exposure to development and humanitarian issues;
- Experience working with computer software such as AutoCAD, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Sharepoint.
- Database (MS Access)/GIS development experience desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Knowledge of French and any other UN language is an asset.
- Good communicator with strong interpersonal and negotiations skills to deal with persons of various cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work independently, when necessary; and
- Flexibility and adaptability.
In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Recent graduate (those persons who completed their studies within one year of applying) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; and
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the Organization.
Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive an allowance to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. Please note that the closing date for this Internship advertisement is Thursday 9 August 2018 (midnight Geneva)
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: Internship
- Project and Programme Management
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-09