Individual Consultant – Drafting State Youth Policy for the State of Gujarat (Indian National Only)
It is evident that the future of India is intimately connected with that of its young people. It is in this context that Government of India has formulated its youth policy that responds effectively to the changing conditions of the young people in the 21st Century. The National Youth Policy (NYP) -2014 provides a holistic vision for the youth of India which is “to empower the youth of the country to achieve their full potential, and through them enable India to find its rightful place in the community of nations.” The NYP-2014 lays down 5 objectives and 11 priority areas. The objectives include instilling social values and promoting community service among youth in India to build national ownership and facilitate participation and civic engagement of youth at all levels of governance. Within these two objectives, the NYP 2014 identifies four distinct priority areas namely; promotion of social values, community engagement, participation in politics & governance and youth engagement. The NYP-2014 recommends several imperatives under each of these priority areas.
The NYP 2014 is a step forward from the earlier Policy formulated in 1988 and, later, in 2003. It reaffirms commitment of the nation to the rights and holistic development of the young people of the country. It also seeks to suggest a framework for appropriate policy interventions by Government and non-Government stakeholders, to empower the youth to enable them to realize their full potential as also to contribute to the progress of the nation.
Under the guidelines and recommendation of NYP 2014, it has been recommended that each state should also enunciate its own State Youth Policy, keeping in mind the diversity of the country and the need to address region-specific needs and concerns of young people that are not adequately reflected in the NYP-2014. This will also ensure in keeping the overall national perspective set out in the NYP-2014.
However, it has been pointed out during the baseline study on State Youth Policies of India which was conducted under the project “Strengthening NYKS and NSS” a joint collaboration between Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MoYAS), UNDP and UNV, that there are currently eight states who are yet to formulate their state youth policy as recommended under NYP 2018.
One of the leading indicators of success of NYP-2014 which has been listed in the policy document is to measure whether the policy has provided a framework and guidelines for stakeholders to formulate the respective state youth policies.
Objectives for the assignment
The objective of the assignment is to support the Department of Sports, Youth & Cultural Activities, Government of Gujarat in drafting State Youth Policy. The Policy will facilitate a multi-dimensional, multi-stakeholder and integrated approach towards youth development in the state. Therefore, the State Youth Policy will consider varied social, cultural, economic and political dimensions having a bearing on the youth of the state.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Joint Secretary (Youth Affairs) & National Project Director -Strengthening NYKS & NSS Project and UNV Programme Officer, the consultant will carry out the following:
- Carry out desk review of existing policy documents, frameworks, resource materials, good practices etc. related to youth policies.
- Collect data from secondary as well as primary sources for feeding into the State Youth Policy.
- Develop a state specific Framework for State Youth Policy.
- Support in organizing a multi- stakeholder consultation in the State to discuss the Framework and provide feedback/suggestions.
- Facilitate and conductor the workshop and collect inputs on the Framework for State Youth Policy from the participants of the workshop.
- Consult other stakeholders and collect inputs for the State Youth Policy.
- Support the State Level Committee constituted to provide oversight in drafting State Youth Policy.
- Based on the information collected, prepare draft State Youth Policy.
- Present the draft State Youth Policy before the State Level Committee/state government officials and collect feedback/suggestions.
- Submit final version of draft State Youth Policy duly incorporating feedback/suggestions of the State Government.
Schedule of Work:
- Submission of draft Framework for State Youth Policy based upon desk review within 2 weeks from the date of signing of the contract;
- Submission of Draft State Youth Policy within 3 weeks from the date of State level Stakeholder Consultation;
- Submission of final version of the Draft State Youth Policy within 2 weeks of receiving feedback from State Government and UNV, UNDP.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Working knowledge of computers including MS Office package is essential;
- Experiences of working with Youth based organization
- Good communications & interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without comprising quality, team spirit and positive working relationship
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Fluency in Hindi and English with ability to convey ideas clearly in writing and orally;
- Ability to coordinate
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration/Public Policy/Social Science or a related discipline.
- Minimum 15 years’ work experience in the field of governance/ public policy/ public administration/social science research.
- Having experience of policy formulation in any domain and working with youth-based organizations will be a definite advantage
- Proven experience of research studies and report writing.
- Proven experience of undertaking similar assignments;
- On submission of draft Framework of State Youth Policy: 30%
- On submission of Draft State Youth Policy: 30%
- On submission of final version of the Draft State Youth Policy: 40%
Documents to be submitted:
- Proposed structure/illustrative contents of the Gujarat State Youth Policy;
- Proposed Work Plan for undertaking the Assignment with approach & methodology
- Detailed CV with contact details of three references;
- Financial Proposal specifying per day consultancy fee.
- Fluency in oral and written both in Hindi and English is required.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodologies:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/ compliant/ acceptable and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria weight -70%
Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Relevant Experience 35% Marks;
- Proposed Work Plan for undertaking the Assignment 35% Marks;
- Financial 30% Marks.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% point would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
For any clarifications, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any kind of miscellaneous charges i.e. internet, phone etc. would not be reimbursed;
- Individuals working with institutions may also apply, contract would be issued in the name of institution for the specific services of individual;
- Please note proposals without financial proposal will not be considered;
- CV, Financial and proposed work methodology must be clubbed in one file for uploading;
- The consultants must bring his/her own computing equipment.
- Travel claims will be reimbursed on actual basis upon the submission of original copies of invoices and the report.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: home based
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Legal - Broad
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-13