The Project Clerk would be enganged witihin the UNDP's Support to UNEP/GEF portfolio as described below.
“Capacity development for the integration of global environmental commitments into national policies and development decision making in Bosnia and Herzegovina (CCCD)“ is a GEF-funded project with an objective to enhance capacities of institutions for environmental management in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) by institutionalizing identified tools and practices for environmental information and knowledge management. In 2018-19, the project will support governments in BiH to:
- Establish relevant systems to monitor air pollution, in order to be well-informed on the state of air quality and sources of pollution in affected areas and to support improved air quality management;
- Set ambitious ambient air quality standards taking into account guidelines from WHO;
- Include, as appropriate, air pollutants that are also short-lived climate pollutants in national action programme to prevent and reduce air pollution;
- Put in place policies and measures to prevent and reduce air pollution from their significant sources;
- Integrate and strengthen air pollution management aspects in the national development agenda, and to internalize pollution costs;
- Create awareness at national, sub-national and local levels and within the private sector on the environmental, health and socio-economic negative impacts of pollution; as well as the economic benefits of taking action.
- While taking the indicated activities, countries are encouraged to:
- Consider using available tools to inspire, as appropriate, national action to improve air quality and protect public health and ecosystems;
- Consider joining or cooperating with, as appropriate, relevant global initiatives such as the Climate and Clean Air Coalition and the Global Methane Initiative;
- Facilitate action to reduce air pollution in urban and rural areas including by encouraging cities and local governments to consider participating in, as appropriate, the Breathe Life campaign (http://breathelife2030.org/), etc.
Further on, the project clerk will assist the project on the development of the Sixth National Report (6NR) to Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) for Bosnia and Herzegovina, that will provide key sources of information from which final progress towards the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 can be reviewed.
The 6NR should provide a final review of progress in the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, and towards the Aichi Biodiversity Targets, including relevant national targets, based on information concerning the implementation of National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plans (NBSAPs) and other actions taken to implement the Convention.
The objective of this project is to provide financial and technical support to GEF eligible parties to the CBD in their work to develop high quality, data driven 6NRs that will improve national decision-making processes for the implementation of NBSAPs, that report on progress towards achieving the ABTs and inform both the GBO5 and the Global Biodiversity Strategy of 2012 – 2030.
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the Support to UNEP/GEF Portfolio Project Manager and in close collaboration with the Energy and Environment Sector Leader, the Project Clerk will provide programme support to the Support to UNEP/GEF Portfolio Project ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Project Clerk promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Providing programmatic and analytical support to the UNEP/GEF Portfolio Project and Energy and Environment Sector, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supporting development of the UNEP/GEF Portfolio Annual Work Plans;
- Provision of inputs to elaboration of programmatic and planning documents;
- Contributing to development of project reports;
- Supporting processes necessary for the implementation of the project activities of the UNEP/GEF Portfolio Project;
- Conduct quality research, collection and preparation of relevant data and documents.
Providing support in monitoring and implementation of project activities:
- Assisting UNEP/GEF Portfolio Project Manager and Energy and Environment Sector Leader in tracking overall implementation of project activities;
- Preparing progress reports;
- Assisting in monitoring the quality of delivery of inputs provided by consultants, beneficiaries and contracted companies;
- Supporting other processes necessary for the implementation of the project activities;
- Collecting information for monitoring and evaluation support of the project implementation;
Providing accounting and finance support:
- Assistance in proper control of the supporting documents for payments;
- Processing of financial documentation (vouchers, supporting documents, invoices, etc.);
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of Requisitions and POs, as needed;
- Provision of information for reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures and potential funding problems.
Supporting the UNEP/GEF Portfolio Project Manager and Energy and Environment Sector Leader in administrative activities on the day-to-day basis:
- Assisting the organization of field visits, missions and conferences and other logistics arrangements as required by the project activities;
- Archiving all relevant documents related to work (project documents, reports etc.);
- Ensuring timely submission of attendance record cards;
- Provision of minor translation/interpretation services (both written and oral) as required;
- Preparation of the meetings and the follow-up Minutes and Reports, as required;
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Support in organization of Project knowledge management activities;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in project;
- Support to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Support colleagues within the project;
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on Finance
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to project support;
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required;
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases;
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative;
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy;
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others;
MANAGING DOCUMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTS:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software;
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction;
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language;
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards;
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard.
PLANNING, ORGANIZING AND MULTI-TASKING:
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines;
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs;
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education;
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences is considered as an asset.
- Four years of relevant administrative or project support experience at national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Experience in supporting implementation of environment protection and biodiversity projects.
- Fluency in English and official BIH languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: sarajevo
- Grade: SB-2, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-09