Senior Inclusive Education Consultant
UNICEF Lebanon is looking for an Senior Inclusive Education Consultant to work on its pilot project in 30 Public schools in partnership with MEHE Ministry of Education and Higher Education.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Inclusiveness
Within the framework of the RACE II, the AWP 2018 signed between UNICEF Lebanon Country Office and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MEHE) is working towards ensuring accessible and quality education for children in Lebanon.
UNICEF will deploy a Senior Special Needs Education consultant to MEHE-DOPS department to support implementation of inclusive education activities outlined in the 2017 AWP between UNICEF Lebanon and MEHE-DOPS.
How can you make a difference?
To promote the development of inclusive education in Lebanon and ensure quality education for all children, including children with disabilities and learning difficulties. The Ministry of Education and Higher Education, with the support of UNICEF launched its inclusive education programme, a pilot targeting 30 public schools in all governorates of Lebanon.
The pilot programme, implemented with the financial support of the Canadian Government, aims to increase the enrolment of children with disabilities in the public schools and improve the learning outcomes for all children. The project will build the capacity of the public-school system and equip teachers, administrators and other education personnel with the essential knowledge and skills to foster inclusive education environments. While generating evidence based data, the project will also increase the awareness of families, caregivers, decision makers and community leaders about inclusive education rights, opportunities, and the importance of school-family collaboration.
Inclusive education addresses and responds to the diversity of needs of all learners through increasing participation in learning, and reducing exclusion within and from education. It involves changes and modifications in content, approaches, structures and strategies. Inclusive education has academic, social and emotional benefits not only for children with special needs but also for all children. It leads to more cohesive societies that respect diversity and difference. It also contributes to better economic outcomes as children come productive citizens.
The Ministry of Education and Higher Education deployed a special educator to each of the selected schools to provide methodological support to teachers on curriculum adjustment, teaching techniques and strategies, and support children with special education needs and learning difficulties.
Six mobile teams of three paraprofessionals - psychologist, psychomotor therapist, speech therapist- will support schools to provide services to children with disabilities.
The Center for Educational Research and Development (CERD) is training the teachers and school personnel on inclusive education and the MEHE Department of Pedagogical Support and Orientation (DOPS) is coaching the special educators and the mobile teams, as well as monitoring and mentoring the schools.
The Senior Inclusive Education consultant will provide technical support to UNICEF and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education on management of the Inclusive Education Pilot Programme in 30 schools, as well as support in the development of inclusive education policy.
With guidance from DOPS director and in cooperation with DOPS National coordinator, DOPS regional focal points, Special Needs Education officer and Social worker, the Senior Inclusive Education consultant will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Management of the Inclusive education pilot programme,
- Provides overall management of the inclusive education pilot programme implementation
- Ensures the preparation and timely implementation of awareness raising activities in schools
- Supports the schools to implement needs assessment and develop inclusive school plans
- Coordinates the planning and provision of special needs supplies to children and resources to schools, with the implementing partner organization
- Coordinates with CERD on the organization of teacher and director trainings
- Coordinates with NGOs on the provision of after-school services
- Supports the Director of DOPS in the coordination and follow up with all major stakeholders of inclusive education
- Conducts regular meetings with DOPS national coordinator and regional focal points, discusses project progress, challenges and solutions
- In coordination with DOPS national coordinator and regional focal points, conducts regular visits to project schools to provide support to schools and monitor project implementation
- Ensures the implementation of the M&E framework, documentation and proper reporting
- Monitors programme expenditure and ensures alignment with the programme budget
Technical support and capacity building
- Provides technical support and advice to the special educators in the schools
- Provides technical support and advice to the paraprofessional team members
- Develops the operational guidance and SOPs of the paraprofessional team
- Develops a methodological guidance and SOPs for special educators in schools
- Oversees the development of training materials, and conducting of trainings for special educators and paraprofessional staff of the mobile teams
- Develops DOPS staff capacity on inclusive education
Policy and programme development
- Conducts research relevant to inclusive education and prepares comparative analysis of the inclusive education models around the works
Provides guidance and technical support for the development of policy framework, toolsets, guiding documents on inclusive education;
- An advanced university degree in Special Education, Inclusive education, Education management, Education Psychology or related fields.
Experience and technical skills:
- At least 8 years of experience in the design and implementation of inclusive education programmes
- Knowledge of inclusive education policy and practice
- Knowledge of contemporary understanding of disability and learning difficulties
- Experience in the public sector (government or NGOs)
- Strong familiarity of international experience with inclusive education systems and policies, experience in developing inclusive education policy framework is an asset;
- Experience in data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Strong training & facilitation skills;
- Highly proficient in oral and written Arabic, English is required. Knowledge of French is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate values
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Leading and supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Applying technical expertise
- Relating and networking
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Ability to work under pressure and in emergency.
- Ability to work individually and within a team.
- Experience in dealing with difficult situations
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
•Consultants are expected to submit a financial proposal line with the table in the Deliverables and Schedule, showing the professional fee (daily rate). International consultants are entitled to 3,500 USD living allowance and a economy class flight from their home base. Submissions without financial proposal, will not be considered.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Beirut (Lebanon)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2018-08-22