VN 2018/183 (P) - Programme Officer (JLMP) (P2) - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Position Title Programme Officer (JLMP)
Duty Station :Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Classification Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
The AU-ILO-IOM-ECA Joint Programme on Labour Migration Governance for Development and Integration (better known as the Joint Labour Migration Programme or JLMP) in Africa is a long term joint undertaking between the four organizations, and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). It is the instrument dedicated to the implementation of the 5th Key Priority Area of the Declaration and Plan of Action on Employment, Poverty Eradication and Inclusive Development which were adopted by the Assembly of Heads of States and Governments (AU/Assembly/AU/20(XXIV)/Annex 3, January 2015) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, January 2015. Its strategy is focused on intra-African labour migration. It is in line with and supports achievement of the First 2023 Ten Year Plan of the AU Agenda 2063 and of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) recently adopted by the UN.
In order to have a significant yet realistic take-off of the Programme a Three-Year Project was developed with the overall objective to develop the necessary technical capacity required at AUC, REC and Member States’ level to build a strong base for the successful implementation of the JLMP (Joint labour Migration Programme). To run this three-year project the establishment of the Programme Support Unit (PSU) within the AUC Social Affairs department is required; which will be under the leadership of the Project Coordinator.
Under the overall supervision of the IOM-SLO Addis Ababa Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the AU-IOM-ILO-ECA Joint Labour Migration Programme Coordinator (JLMPC), Page 1 / 4the successful candidate will support the implementation of Joint Labour Migration Programme. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide technical and procedural support to the management and implementation of the AU-IOM-ILO-ECA Joint Labour Migration Programme according to the work plan. 2. In collaboration with the AU and ILO, contribute to the development as well as domestication of the regional labour migration policy frameworks and verify that the policy and legal frameworks are in line with the various dimensions of IOM current and prospective work in Africa, MiGOF principles and others.
3. Provide programme, administrative, logistical and other backstopping, and proactively document and bring to the attention of the supervisor incidents related to the programme which have the capacity to jeopardise the effectiveness and efficiency of programme implementation. 4. Work closely with all IOM regional offices in Africa to facilitate effective coordination and successful implementation of the project.
5. Assist in developing and maintaining strong and regular liaison with the project partners. 6. Collaborate with the AUC, ILO, IOM regional and country offices in Africa to facilitate training and workshops.
7. Encourage the integration of the project by creating strong relationships with other programme coordinators and staff in different units of IOM SLO.
8. Contribute to the development of appropriate monitoring and evaluation tools for the effective design and implementation of projects and activities.
9. Contribute to the collection, analysis and sharing of relevant information/data on labour migration for dissemination to colleagues and relevant stakeholders.
10. Provide technical assistance during the assessment of existing labour regulations, in Africa – Middle East and OIC labour migration trends, BLAs and challenges and other assessments of the project, and provide technical inputs for policy formulation in Africa. 11. Provide necessary information and documentation for the preparation of project proposals. 12. Support the development and implementation of a project communication strategy, including preparation and distribution of specific communication materials and monitoring compliance of project partners with the project visibility guidelines.
13. Contribute to the design and development of new programme and project concepts and proposals in close coordination with the JLMP Programme Coordinator, relevant IOM missions, Regional Office (RO) Thematic Specialists. Participate in the Technical Committee meetings and other meetings.
14. Provide technical information to key stakeholders at all levels on JLMP and on regional and continental policy and operations coherence.
15. Facilitate the mainstreaming of gender issues in the regional labour migration policy frameworks, labour migration training and capacity building programmes and other initiatives of the project.
16. Contribute to the development of new projects within the SLU.
Page 2 / 417. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Science, Law, Refugee and Migration studies, International Relations, Psychology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in implementation and/or monitoring labour migration programs, preferably continental programmes is required;
• Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government and Non-Governmental counterparts, international organizations, civil society or private sector entities;
• Familiarity with national and international policy and legal frameworks;
• Experience of work with the AUC, and RECs;
• Experience in labour migration, labour migration policy and legal frameworks, the development of labour migration training manuals;
• Proven knowledge and experience on project management, implementation, project development, monitoring, evaluation and reporting; familiarity with IOM guidelines on project management, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
• Experience in budget formulation, financial and financial management and administration; familiarity with IOM guidelines and procedures on budget formulation, financial management and administration is preferred;
• Proven understanding of the Standard Operating Procedures in managing Joint Programs and the Pass-Through Fund Management Modality;
• Familiarity with the AU-ILO-IOM-ECA Joint Programme on Labour Migration Governance for Development and Integration (better known as the Joint Labour Migration Programme or JLMP) in Africa;
• Proficient in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
Page 3 / 4• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 31.07.2018 to 13.08.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/183 (P) - Programme Officer (JLMP) (P2) - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (55593871) Released
Posting: Posting NC55593872 (55593872) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-13