SVN 2018/180 (P) - Project Development Officer (P2) - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Position Title Project Development Officer
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
The portfolio of the IOM Mission in Ethiopia is growing in size and complexity and a new Programme Support Unit (PSU) was established under the direct supervision of the Head of Programmes to guarantee quality control, homogeneity and synergy in the work of the various Units (Migration Health, Operations, Emergency and Post Crisis, Migration Management). The
PSU focuses primarily on the following activities: Project Development, Project Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Reporting, Donor and Partner Liaison. The successful candidate will be part of the Programme Support Unit. S/he in close collaboration with other relevant colleagues in the Mission (both at the central level as well as at the sub office level), in the Regional Office (RO) and in Headquarters (HQs) - will provide technical support for project development and related activities carried out in the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Monitor project development and reporting staff and deliverables within the IOM Ethiopia Mission ensuring quality control of project proposals, reports and external material. 2. Consolidate and analyze development assistance policies, trends, priorities and assist in identifying relevant project opportunities based on needs in Ethiopia and donor priorities. Page 1 / 33. Draft, coordinate, and ensure the submission of funding proposals taking into account national and donor priorities, United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), and IOM’s country, regional and global strategic priorities and objectives. 4. Facilitate the timely and quality submission of project reports and new proposals in accordance with IOM and donor formats.
5. Organize and participate in regular training sessions and on the job training to staff in the field in order to build capacities on project development and reporting.
6. Liaise and coordinate with relevant stakeholders, such as national and local government counterparts, civil society groups, diplomatic missions, UN agencies and others national and international organizations and existing business networks on IOM work in Ethiopia. 7. Support the monitoring of progress against strategic objectives, project and program benchmarks and UNDAF results. Participate in the establishment of a common M&E framework that incorporates regular reporting requirements and impact evaluation strategies, in close coordination with M&E staff and project managers.
8. Coordinate internally with all units and sub-offices in response to request for information from HQs, RO, donors, partners, and any other relevant stakeholders.
9. Edit and review documents both for internal and external use, as requested. 10. Whenever possible undertake visits to the field in coordination with project specialists to support project development and reporting.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in project development and project management, humanitarian and migration-related activities, report writing and liaison with relevant stakeholders. • Work experience in the region is an asset.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Excellent report writing skills. • Effective resource management skills and strategic and creative thinking. Languages
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; Page 2 / 3• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 31.07.2018 to 13.08.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/180 (P) - Project Development Officer (P2) - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (55593813) Released
Posting: Posting NC55593814 (55593814) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-13