Finance Associate, Local Fund Agent
Background Information - Job-specific
The incumbent will report to the LFA Financial Management and Systems Specialist within the Pakistan LFA team. The position is based in Islamabad, Pakistan, and requires in-country missions.
- Verify data provided by the Principal Recipient in Disbursement Request/Financial Progress Updates using primary source documents, in particular vouchers and other documentation supporting the reported expenditure;
- Assist in review of documents submitted by the Principal Recipient and verify information provided for preparation of the LFA’s independent opinion/analysis of financial adequacy for Global Fund grants including budgets and their revisions;
- Ensure that the verified expenditure is conducted in accordance with the Global Fund guidelines and in case of non-compliance, the matter is reported to the supervisor for further communication to the Global Fund, with practical recommendations;
- Prepare, for final review by the supervisor, data verification and compilation of data in the requested templates as per Global Fund guidelines in the context of field visits and spot checks with the LFA Finance team;
- Prepare reconciliation of the cash balances and expenditures reported by PR and SR in accordance with PU/DR Guidelines of the Global Fund;
- Produce explanation of variances between the approved budget and actual expenditure taking into account the information provided by PR and grant implementation modalities;
- Prepare detailed reviews of PR and SR budgets for further review and elaboration by the Financial Management & Systems Specialist during grant making taking into account the approved policies & procedures and value for money considerations;
- Contribute to the assessment of capacities of PR and SR from financial perspective to assess the capability to manage Global Fund grants and assets in the country by filling in the relevant portions of the Capacity Assessment Tool set forth by the Global Fund;
- Participate in identifying internal control and financial weaknesses of Principal and Sub-Recipients and support the team in identification of practical remedial solutions;
- Work effectively in a team to deliver the reports on time and with high quality input;
- Highlight and discuss with supervisor of any perceived or verified misuse of funds and assets or financial risks for Global Fund grants in the country; and
- Support any other financial verification or analysis as requested by the Supervisor and/or LFA Team Leader.
- Supervise support and temporary finance personnel in the conduction of routine activities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- An internationally recognized professional accounting qualification is desirable (CA/CMA/CPA/ACCA etc.), but not mandatory.
- 3 years' relevant experience with a valid Bachelor's degree.
- A technical diploma may be accepted if candidates can justify one additional year of professional experience.
- Experience in accounting or funds management, including budgeting, account reconciliation, cash management, financial analysis or financial reporting is required.
- Ability to verify and analyze financial statements (including income and expenditure statements, balance sheets and cash reconciliation statements) is required.
- Experience with: IPSAS, Asset Management, Planning and reviewing and Financial control is desirable.
- Previous experience in audit / verification of financial compliance is desirable.
- Fluent oral and written English and Urdu required for this position.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: Local ICA Support Level 7
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Islamabad (Pakistan)
- Grade: LICA-7, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Banking and Finance
- Administrative support
- Civil Society and Local governance
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-08-10