Finance Assistant, G-5, Lusaka, Zambia, Post # 00095710, Fixed Term (For Zambians Only)
Exciting opportunity in Finance Unit
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, ...
The UNICEF Programme in Cooperation with the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) is designed to address and mitigate the triple threat of poverty the country’s children face, while responding to the needs with interventions addressing the multiple causative factors.
In response to the combination these threats involve the Programme supports national efforts to improve service delivery in the key areas of: child health and nutrition and HIV and AIDS, quality basic education, water, sanitation and hygiene education, child protection and social policy, advocacy and communication.
To find out more about UNICEF’s work in Zambia, please visit https://www.unicef.org/zambia/.
How can you make a difference?
Under close supervision, perform a range of standardized accounting clerical duties.
This will involve;
- Receive invoices from vendors or various departments in the local office and review completeness and correctness of information required, ensure Goods Receipt/ SES has been done in SAP by the receiving officer (for invoices with PO), create case request in the Case Management tool, upload scanned invoice, workflow the case request (to the Releasing Officer for direct invoices, directly to the GSSC for invoices with PO), Responsible for communicating with GSSC related to finance requests.
- Maintains contacts with local banks for verifying account status, obtaining approval for cheque clearances, verifying currency exchange rates, and similar direct transactions.
- Monitor and follow up on the finance open requests with the GSSC.
- When authorized, makes disbursements from petty cash funds, maintains records of these disbursements and balances accounts, as required.
- Assists newly arriving or departing staff members with opening or closing bank accounts, exchanging currency, and other financial matters.
- Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education.
- Diploma/Degree in Business Administration or Accounting an asset.
Five years general administration work which should have provided a good knowledge of administrative/accounting practices and procedures.
- Proficient in the use of computer software packages such as Microsoft word, excel, power point and other related software.
Fluency in English and Knowledge of the local language, and one or two languages of the organization.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
i) Core Values (Required)
Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
Working with People [II]
Drive for Results [I]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
Learning and Researching [I]
Planning and Organizing [I]
Following instructions and Procedures [I]
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Lusaka (Zambia)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Banking and Finance
- Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-08-13