WASH Project Manager
renk | south sudan
Lead the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) team in Renk, designing and implementing WASH services for beneficiaries in Renk County with a major focus on Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) primarily through the Care Group Model. Major responsibilities include: assessing WASH needs; designing projects; contributing to proposal preparation; managing project implementation; reporting on objectives, timeframe and budget; providing technical support and line-management to staff; ensuring quality standards are met; and liaising with local authorities and other stakeholders.
Multi-sector relief programme providing nutrition, behaviour change, health and WASH services with the goal to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2018. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Develop program strategy. Ensure quality of program implementation and activities.
- Manage the schedule and budget to implement the logframe and activities.
- Monitor project indicators and communicate project performance on a regular basis.
- Represent Medair at coordination meetings and through relationships with external partners.
- Provide strategic direction and ensure best practice is implemented in all areas of Behaviour Change, with support from the BCC Specialist and Sector Advisors.
- Line management responsibility for WASH-specific staff as well as the multi-sectoral BCC.
Technical design and oversight
- Evaluate appropriate technologies to achieve project goals.
- Provide technical input and support to the team on project activities.
Staff management and leadership
- Line manage WASH team: providing support, constructive feedback, coaching.
- Conduct formal staff appraisals and performance monitoring.
- Provide updates on wider humanitarian and political context and coordination with other partners/Cluster/etc.
- Recruit new staff (with support from HR and Advisor) and provide training as needed.
- Develop procurement plan at start of project cycle to forecast procurement needs.
- Coordinate with support and logistics managers to facilitate procurement of supplies.
- Ensure adequate stock of critical supplies at all times, particularly factoring in seasonal access limitations (wet season).
- Assess the cost of activities in relation to scope, schedule and logistics to plan and forecast spending.
- Manage the WASH budget, tracking expenditure against planned (using the monthly budgets vs actual).
- Give input to monthly cash needs forecast to manage cash reserves.
- Support the security focal person with security management when needed.
- Ensure the WASH team adhere to standard operating procedures Medair has in place.
- Promote strong planning and communication within the team.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a WASH-related field (eg civil engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Experience working in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context. Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of WASH programmes.
- Experience in peer-based BCC programming, including the Care group model.
- Experience in training/mentoring staff. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure.
- Able to prioritise clearly, oversee multiple tasks and delegate wisely.
- Strong project management, organisational, and communication skills.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: renk | south sudan
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: