You are familiar with humanitarian principles and practice as well as displacement issues. You thrive in managing the challenges of working in highly complex political and humanitarian environments. You have a proven track record of effectively and persuasively representing a large, leading international NGO to external partners and authorities. You are an effective people manager, capable of building and sustaining high performing teams with highly engaged and committed employees. You have clear ideas about how to optimise an organisation to efficiently deliver assistance characterised by high quality, compliance and accountability.
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading working in approx. 35 countries around the world.
DRC has been present in Iran since 2012. In Iran, DRC responds to the needs of vulnerable Afghans. DRC currently covers Tehran and Alborz provinces and is in the process of expanding into Fars and Isfahan. DRC Iran has a mid-sized portfolio and is funded by 3 donors. DRC's Iran program forms part of the regional DRC response to the Afghan displacement, with programming in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran. DRC works closely with government and local NGO counterparts and is operating in line with the Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees.
About the job
DRC's comprehensive and solutions-based approach to displacement requires a high level of strategic leadership. You will be responsible for direct management of the Senior Management Team (SMT) comprising of a Head of Programme and Head of Support Services.
Your overall reporting line will be to DRC’s Regional Director for Asia, who is currently based in Copenhagen. You will have extensive interaction with regional functions within programming, finance, administration, procurement, and safety. Your daily interaction with HQ will also involve a support unit in Copenhagen.
In this position, you will be responsible for:
- Exercising strategic leadership, i.e. leading the development, management and implementation of new strategic priorities for DRC Iran.
- Promoting and contributing to the development of a clear and relevant DRC programmatic profile with the context in Iran.
- Representing DRC externally towards stakeholders and duty bearers in Iran, positioning DRC Iran strategically towards external actors, and pursuing new partnerships and funding opportunities.
- Ensuring that DRC is organized and managed in order to pursue opportunities while at the same time operating in compliance with minimum requirements and relevant guidelines, including overseeing operations in terms of financial management, quality and compliance, and ensuring that risk management systems are in place.
- Taking overall responsibility for safety and duty of care for staff in Iran.
To be successful in this role you are required to:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience (including a minimum of 5 years at senior management level) in post-conflict settings, preferably working with displaced people.
- Experience in leading the development and implementation of new strategies in complex humanitarian operations.
- Extensive experience in negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of our beneficiaries.
- Proven track record of successful fundraising.
- Proven track record of managing a large financial turnover and mitigating risk in a complex and volatile environment.
- Experience in effective people management, including implementation of the code of conduct and anti-corruption measures.
- Experience in managing the safety of staff
- Excellent written and spoken English language, communication and drafting skills.
You are also expected to be ‘expert’ level in each of DRC’s five Core Competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: Two years
Duty station: Tehran, Iran. Tehran is an accompanied duty station
Start date:1st September
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies for more information.
For questions regarding this vacancy please contact Interim Regional Director, Claus Larsen, at firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2018. Please note that the recruitment is on a rolling basis. DRC reserves the right to close the position, should a suitable candidate is identified prior to the application deadline.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tehrān (Iran)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-09-14