Livelihoods Officer (Business)
Livelihoods Officer (Business)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
The Livelihoods Officer (Business) is responsible for leading the Livelihoods business incubator program to support the establishment and the expansion of small and medium businesses in Erbil.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Lead the business programming according to DRC process and SOPs.
- With the support of the Livelihoods team and PM/DPM review each case for inclusion in the program and make recommendations as needed.
- Organize, produce, contribute to the development and improvement of Business material trainings, as well as employability trainings material for the Job Center
- In coordination and support with the LH Team, strengthen the links between DRC’s Livelihoods team in Sulaimaniya and business owners (private sectors), as well as with Chamber of Commerce, Vocational Training Centers, Labor Center and other stakeholders
- Conducting business profiling for identified candidates, according to the project selection process
- Held business support trainings with candidates for Business grants at the Job Center in Suly, as well as other candidates identified for such trainings by the DRC’s database.
- Maintain a clear database of all possible participants in the program (selected and not selected) and provide regular updates (at least monthly) to the DRC livelihoods database officer in the Business tracker
- Provide regular advice to business development to beneficiaries as well as to the DRC livelihoods team.
- Prepare regular and timely updates and reports to be shared with the LHT and other team leaders as needed.
- Compile monthly report on the business activities, any new opportunities identified and success stories to the LHT
- Identify gaps in the business market and encourage the development of new relevant business to fill the gap.
- Monitor and follow up with each participant in the Business Incubator program.
- Actively contribute to the team work at DRC Job center and for the Livelihoods activities such as LAG, Vocational Trainings.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager;
- Reports to: Project Manager- Livelihoods
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Relevant experience in similar contexts – at least 2 years
- Experience with DRC people of concern (Refugees, IDPs and Host Community).
- Experience in similar livelihoods assignments.
- Strong communication and team work skills.
- Knowledge of local laws and regulations.
- Able to work energetically.
- Excellent computer skills (Web, Microsoft office –excel, word and ppt overall).
- Knowledge of the current context of displacement (Refugees and IDPs) and ongoing economic crisis (host community) in Duhok Governorate
- Advanced university degree would be an advantage.
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
- Knowledge of the Refugee and IDP crisis.
- Relevant university degree or similar education (Economics, Business and Finance).
- Fluency in English is a must, spoken and written Kurdish Sorani and Arabic are essential needed.
- Project Manager - Livelihoods
- Livelihoods Specialist
- Livelihoods Team
- Support Services offices
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: until 31-December-2018
Designation of Duty Station: Erbil
Start date: As soon as possible
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 6-August-2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil (Iraq)
- Grade: Mid level
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Operations and Administrations
- Public, Private Partnership
- Closing Date: 2018-08-06