Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and planning to run an office in Yobe, besides 50 staff members subject to increase in near future.
Within the scope of DRC’s Protection projects, the Protection Assistant, under the supervision of the Roving Protection Officers and Protection Manager, is responsible for the day to day implementation of the various protection activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility. This includes conduct Protection Monitoring, referrals and follow up of referrals, (including establishing referral pathways), identification of IPA beneficiaries and follow up of cases, psychosocial support activities, monitor the protection incentive workers’ work and manage them on a daily basis.
The Protection Assistant will also be responsible for supporting needs and programmatic assessments, supporting the preparation of activity and protection reports and analysis (information collection, community consultations etc.), identifying and communicating protection concerns in his/her locations, identifying and communicating programmatic needs in targeted locations, supporting the Officers in providing capacity building to key stakeholders, and in collecting and managing project data ensuring the highest standards of data and information protection and confidentiality.
The Protection Assistant responsibilities include:
- Ensure the organization and the implementation of all protection activities at field level in accordance with the agreed workplan (under the supervision of the Protection Roving Officers and Manager) and the international standards
- Ensure the management of the field protection incentive workers (team and work management)
- Prepare necessary activity and protection reports (weekly, monthly, ad hoc)
- Participate in conducting needs and programmatic assessments in targeted locations
- 2 yrs. Work experience in a humanitarian organization / with displacement affected populations or significant experience as a DRC Protection social or outreach worker
- Knowledge of protection norms, principles, and activities
- Excellent communication skills (oral and writing)
- Professional fluency in English and Hausa
- Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites (remote / field sites) and to work during irregular working hours and in insecure environments
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills – self-motivated individuals, able to take initiative and propose solutions, resilient, positive, and able to work independently.
- Knowledge of the protection monitoring data collection methods
- Knowledge / previous experience with Psychosocial support services activities and standards
Availability: August 15th, 2018
Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
How to apply
The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications can be sent through email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note: The position title must be written in the subject line of the email otherwise not considered.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Deadline date. 06/08/2018 Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and/or oral interview.
Note: DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Borno (Banki)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-08-06