Title : Regional Supervising Engineer-NURI
Location : This position is based in Kitgum Field Office, in Acholi sub region of Uganda. The Supervising Engineer will be required to frequently travel within the district, and to other districts implementing NURI project in the sub region.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Uganda, the DRC programme provides comprehensive assistance and protection response to refugees and other vulnerable populations, supports durable solutions to protracted displacement and works to reduce armed violence. The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has also implemented, over the years, DAR III and RALNUC III which aim to improve infrastructure to enable agricultural livelihoods in West-Nile and Acholi Sub-Regions, respectively in refugee hosting district.
The Regional Supervising Engineer will be responsible for technical quality assurance and due diligence of all Rural Infrastructure and Water Resource Management activities in the region. These includes ensuring appropriateness and quality of actual works as well as of training of communities, particularly Project Management Committees. On technical issues s/he will work with and report to the Project Engineer or Project Water Engineer as appropriate.
- Prepare engineering drawings, designs, BOQs and Supervise the construction of all projects in the sub region
- Conduct technical assessments as and when required and monitor the quality and quantity of materials used for projects
- Coordinate project activities with the District Focal persons from the Engineering departments in the districts
- Ensure very high standard of technical screening of projects jointly with the district technical team and compile Investment Plans for approval by the District Technical Planning Committees (DTPC)
- Undertake identification and training of competent contractors and masons in order to achieve high quality structures in the project operational areas;
- Supervise the technical aspects of the projects;
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Continuously monitor and supervise construction of public works infrastructure projects in close collaboration with the Regional Manager and Engineering Assistants;
- Ensure the right structures for instance vented drifts and culverts are constructed in the identified bottlenecks and ensure value for money
- Ensure regular communication between communities at the project implementation sites and DRC
- Processing payment certificates for contractors after completion of works.
- Liaise with the district engineering team, the projects engineer and the project water engineer to assess the quality of infrastructure projects
- Participate in training of Project Management Committees (PMC) and Project User Committees (PUCs) together with district technical team
- Participate in social mobilization of communities for maintenance of completed projects
- Together with the Engineering Assistants, work on project technical reports
Staff development and management
- Responsible for Engineering staff development including target setting and performance appraisal.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
Participate in quarterly OPM and District monitoring, project reviews and evaluations.
Provide engineering data and information for preparation of donor reports E.g monthly Highlights, quarterly and Annual reports.
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally
- Reports to the Regional Project Manager.
- A Bachelor degree in engineering.
- 5 years of post-graduate relevant work experience;
- 4 years of work experience from a least-developed country.
- Experience from 3 projects as Engineer.
- Relevant experience with agricultural related rural infrastructure;
- Experience with donor funded projects and International Non-Governmental Organizations
- Relevant work experience from Northern Uganda;
- Knowledge of one or more of the local languages widely spoken in the covered districts, preferably Alur, Lugbara, Luo and Madi.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential.
How to Apply
Applications should be in English
Please apply online with your cover letter, for the resume please fill in the template as per the link below and send it to email@example.com by 5th August 2018:
We thank all the applicants for their interest in the position however; due to high number of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.