Job title: Finance Officer
Reporting to: Area/Base Manager
Overall purpose of the role:
The Finance Officer main objective is to provide efficient and effective financial management according to DRC’s internal and donor procedures, as per the Operations Handbook. The position will work under the NURI Rural Infrastructure and Water Resource Management Interventions.
- Implement financial policies and procedures in accordance with DRC Operational Handbook.
- Assist with preparation of program and operational budgets.
- Liquidity management: establish monthly fund requirements and maintain adequate liquidity (cash) levels in the bank and cash safe. Subsequently, submits cash flow forecast every 25th of the month to the Senior Finance Officer based at the Kampala coordination office.
- Maintain updated bank mandates and list of authorized signatories and ensure the area Internal Delegation of Responsibility and Authority is consistently updated.
- Provide the financial review of all Purchase Requests (PR) and request for payments in accordance to the set limit in the area Internal Delegation of Responsibility and Authority.
- Verifies payment vouchers for all payments in accordance to the set limit the area Internal Delegation of Responsibility and Authority.
- Responsible for the bookkeeping i.e. management of monthly cash books:
- Prepares consolidated weekly cashbooks with complete documentations for all the projects for review by Area Manager every Friday of the week.
- Submits on bi-monthly basis cashbooks and corresponding cash and bank reconciliation to Kampala coordination office as per the quarterly cashbook submission calendar.
- Ensure month end cash counts are done and submitted to DRC Country office in Kampala by 30th of every month and month end cash books accompanied by bank reconciliations are submitted to Senior Finance Officer 1st of every month.
- Together with Area Manager, ensure physical cash count is carried out at the end of the week (Friday) and that Cash counts are filled in Kampala for review by Senior Finance Officer the following Monday together with the weekly updated cashbook.
- Confirm that full accountabilities (documentations) are obtained for all expenditures and validity of claims all financial claims.
- Ensures timely submission of scanned vouchers to Kampala coordination office.
- Monitor project budgets closely and advice Area manager/project coordinators on any issues of concern.
- Maintains overview of balance sheet items (X.4, X.5, X.6, X.7, X.82, X.83) and ensure there is no outstanding item older than a month. Responsible for banking activities and ensure the safeguarding of all available funds.
- Reconcile the accounts payables.
- Reconcile the accounts receivables and advances and issue receipts for all the funds received.
- Monitor and ensure rent and fuel deposits are amortized on a monthly basis.
- Prepare schedules for all taxes withheld or paid on a monthly basis where relevant and submit to Senior Finance Officer for verification before submission to the relevant authorities.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual DRC and donor reports.
- Supporting finance and Area Managers to adequately prepare for both internal and external audits.
- Support the supply chain team in asset management by provision of financial data necessary for updating asset lists.
- Act as the focal contact for financial queries in the area.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements regarding financial management.
- Train staff on compliance with DRC internal financial controls tools.
- Support program teams' and managers' in building staff capacity in financial management.
Experience and technical competencies:
- With at least 5-years work experience in relevant field INGO or other agencies experience in financial management.
- Proven ability in the implementation of large-scale programs.
- High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, and with well-developed problem-solving skills.
- Ability to cope with heavy workloads and to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with limited supervision
- Knowledge of computers: word processing, database management packages.
- Degree in Accounting, Commerce
- Professional qualification ACCA, CPA or similar All DRC staff should master the 5 core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
- Excellent Communication skills in English required.
- Knowledge of Alur, Lugbara, Luo, Madi and other local languages widely spoken in Northern Uganda is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applications should be in English
Please apply online with your cover letter, for the resume please fill in the template as per the link below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th August 2018:
We thank all the applicants for their interest in the position however; due to high number of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Moyo (Uganda)
- Grade: Mid level
- Banking and Finance
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-05