Site Operations Officer - National Officer
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Site Operations Coordinator and Site Management Support Team Leader and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Site Operations Officer will be responsible for initiating DRC’s day-to-day activities related to operation, maintenance, infrastructure improvements and construction works, as well as ad hoc distributions in the refugee and migrant hosting sites under DRC’s area of responsibility. The focus of this position will be on operation, maintenance and projects implementation works.
Duties and Responsibilities
In detail and in close collaboration with the Site Operations Coordinator and the Site Management Support Team Leader the Site Operations Officer will be responsible to:
• Verify the daily “help-desk” technical inputs and prepare “Work Order” lists.
• Develop a functional care and maintenance schedule in compliance with National and Humanitarian Standardization Norms.
• Prepare technical descriptions/reports and proposed solutions in case of any malfunction or deficiencies noted in site’s networks (electrical, water supply, sewerage, surface run offs etc) or in structural infrastructures (buildings, prefabricated houses).
• Review deficiencies noted during corrective maintenance.
• Ensure that equipment is performing effectively and efficiently.
• Promotes equipment standardization.
• Monitors qualifications and quality standards for contractors.
• Ability to cost estimation
• Makes cost effective review of the maintenance program (job plans optimization).
• Define the most efficiency and cost-effective maintenance type for site’s networks and infrastructure.
• Provide technical guidance for the preventive and predicted maintenance programs.
• Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating and engineering data and trends.
• Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations
Monitoring and Reporting
• Ensure that all site operations activities are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements.
• Supervising all technical contractors during their works on site ensuring the work schedule implementation, the required quality of the works, the adequate installation of any equipment and the health and safety measurements implementation.
• Ensure the implementation of site operations activities comply with quality standards and are monitored in accordance with pre-defined objectives and indicators.
• Support the Site Ops Coord. and SMS Team Leader in developing accurate and timely reports.
• Establishing and maintaining a basic warehousing system, compliant with DRC regulations, to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials.
• Collaborate with the Athens-based logistics and procurement team to ensure field-based records are well managed, fulfill DRC and donor requirements, and are always up-to-date for use in donor reports
• Lead on the technician’s team management in the field and support respectful and positive working relationships, which allow for the effective implementation of all activities.
• Cooperate with Site Management Support Team Leader to ensure timely delivery of project materials on site, and to facilitate and provide quality checks of goods received and works completed.
• Cooperate with the Shelter Advisor and the Shelter Advisory team in order to comply with the DRC’s strategy and ensure programme quality and standardization of activities county- wide.
• Following and implement DRC’s Operations Handbook.
• Comply with DRC safety and security procedures including Chapters 19 and 20 of the organization’s Operations Handbook.
• Ensures that security incidents at the site-level are reported to the SMS Manager
• University Degree (AEI) or Technological Educational Institute (TEI) degree in Architecture, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
• Proven experience as “Site Engineer” will be an advantage.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Greek with excellent analytical and writing skills.
• Ability in writing technical descriptions and reports in English language will be an advantage.
• Organizational skills.
• Ability to analyze Information.
• MS Office suite of tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or relevant software good command user. Ability to use AutoCAD will be an advantage.
• Proven capacity to adapt to a dynamic and changing operational environment.
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attica (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 3rd of August 2018.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Athens (Greece)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Closing Date: 2018-08-03