Site Operations Assistant - National Contract
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Site Operations Officer and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Site Operations Assistant will be responsible for supporting DRC’s day-to-day activities related to distributions, site care and maintenance, infrastructure improvements and construction works in the emergency reception sites under DRC’s area of responsibility
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support in organizing warehousing facilities to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials and/or donations
- Actively participate in all DRC activities related to overall site improvement and maintenance
- As necessary, oversee activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable and effective
- implementation of any construction or maintenance works undertaken by DRC in the emergency reception sites
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary
- Actively contribute to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact
- Support in drafting of relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use.
- Prepare submit and follow up on SMS related procurement (Purchase Requests), Supporting closely collaborate with the Admin & Logistics personnel to ensure that all procurement and logistical procedures are in place and followed by staff.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
- Any other tasks assigned by the Site Operations Officer to support DRC’s emergency response
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Knowledge of additional languages (e.g. Kurdish languages) is highly appreciated.
- Experience supervising small teams is desirable
- Previous work or experience in the humanitarian sector will be considered a strong advantage
- Computer skills are essential
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Ability to establish professional boundaries and act with professionalism
- Ability to work with vulnerable individuals, from children to elderly
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values, as well as interpretation ethics
- Able to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the DRC values and ethical standards
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Demonstrates openness to fast-changing conditions and ability to manage complexities
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 1st of August 2018.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Attica (Greece)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Closing Date: 2018-08-01