Women, Peace and Security Consultant
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women operationalizes this through Flagship Programming Initiatives (FPIs) developed to achieve transformative results for gender equality and women empowerment. The FPIs responds to the expanded agenda for Beijing+20 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The overall framework for UN Women’s support to Somalia is reflected in the 2017-2019 Strategic Note with the main objective to improve security for women.
To support Somalia’s efforts to achieve the national development priorities on GEWE and UN Women’s Africa Strategy, UN Women Somalia is recruiting a Programme Manager for WPS that will also manage the Political Empowerment and Leadership, Enablers and Rule of Law Joint Programmes.
Under the overall guidance of the Country Programme Manager, the consultant will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of UN Women’s Joint Programmes, including for planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting. He/she will also work in collaboration with programme staff in other UN Agencies, UN Women Regional Office and HQ staff and Government officials to successfully deliver the UN Women Somalia’s Strategic Note for 2017-2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will carry out the following functions:
Lead the coordination of the Joint Programmes:
- Prepare and present work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Country Programme Manager, Regional Office and other stakeholders as necessary;
- Provide key advisory support and oversight for gender mainstreaming in the Joint Programme on Women Political Empowerment, Rule of Law, Enablers and on all gender related issues within the programme, including a strong focus on deepening initiatives to address human rights;
- Provide advisory support to government institutions and National Development Plan structures;
- Provide high quality input to the JP WPE - including but not limited to the Program Steering Committee and JP WPE working groups – and other coordination mechanisms on political empowerment and leadership within technical advisory services, reporting, and monitoring;
- Provide overall advice and input to CO management regarding programme development and strategic direction for the effective implementation of Women, Peace and Security agenda in the framework of UN Women global initiatives.
Manage coordination with national partners and other stakeholders:
- Manage relationships with national implementing partners to support implementation of the Women, Peace and Security Programme, raise potential problems and provide solutions;
- Technically contribute to mainstream gender in key public institutions - including the Ministry of Women and Human Rights Development, the Ministry of Interior and Federal Affairs, and the Ministry of Internal Security – at federal and state levels, to enhance their engagement in the promotion of women political empowerment and leadership;
- Provide substantial guidance to partners on establishment of performance indicators, and monitoring achievement of results;
- Identify capacity building needs and support partners through technical assistance, mentoring, training, and cross partner learning and sharing, and capacity development initiatives; develop training materials and workshops, as necessary.
Oversee the monitoring and reporting of the Joint Programmes:
- Gather and compile all information necessary for monitoring and reporting on programmes and projects from the planning to the evaluation stages;
- Monitor the implementation of activities, expenditure of funds by partners and undertake regular monitoring visits;
- Finalize annual and quarterly reports and the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Ensure the delivery of baseline, monitoring, evaluation plans and reports (flash, progress and final) based on information compiled from colleagues and stakeholders.
Manage financial resources and supervise staff:
- Supervise and manage a team of professional and administrative staff, review performance and mentor/ coach staff;
- Lead and coordinate UN Women programme implementation through well-coordinated, relevant and timely annual work planning, budgeting, strategic monitoring and reporting;
- Support UN agencies’ efforts to develop knowledge, structures and capacity of government institutions and their effort to implement national strategies on effectively enhancing the promotion of women’s political participation and leadership;
- Develop and prepare financial resources of the Joint programmes including budgeting and budget revisions, and expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Oversee and monitor the timely allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners;
- Ensure appropriate actions are taken to optimize use of programme funds.
Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies:
- Identify and build partnerships and mobilize resources within the context of Women, Peace and Security to promote programme implementation, including the integration of gender sensitive indicators, baseline and targets to effectively monitor progress toward results and timely respond to the evolving situation, particularly in critical areas of concern.
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women Somalia needs and donors’ priorities and develop the relevant partnerships;
- Participate in on-going coordination mechanisms to ensure coherence of the programme with other country-level processes.
Provide Inter-agency coordination support:
- Ensure effective coordination and communication among UN partners, national counterparts and stakeholders at federal and state level on Women, Peace and Security with a view of optimizing human and financial resources available, and results achieved;
- Coordinate closely with the UN Mission to Somalia and the Resident Coordinator’s Office;
- Coordinate between the Joint Programme Teams and UN Women CO, in integrating expertise, knowledge and capacity on gender and women’s rights, for enhancement of women empowerment and leadership to the broader UN System in Somalia;
- Provide strategic and operational input and advice to UN Women CO engagement in UNCT’s overall programmatic responses to women, peace and security and women political empowerment and leadership;
- Through UN Women representation in the UN Gender Team Group, provide technical support to UNCT and UNSOM to develop specific action plans on political empowerment issues to inform relevant programmatic responses by the UNCT;
- Participate in relevant UNCT technical team meetings as well as donor consultation processes to ensure strategic partnerships and strengthen collaborations with UN organizations and wide-ranging constituencies on the issue of women political empowerment and leadership.
Advocate and facilitate knowledge building and management and communication:
- Monitor trends and issues affecting women in Somalia, including Somaliland, related to inclusive politics for a strategic response to opportunities and challenges within Women’s Political Empowerment;
- Knowledge management, including developing guidance on aspects of Women’s Political Empowerment in post-conflict settings for dissemination and use in the Somali context;
- Prepare analytical reports, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, talking points and others as requested by senior management of UN Women CO.
Organize major advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products:
- Monitor trends and issues affecting women in Somalia, including Somaliland, related to inclusive politics for a strategic response to opportunities and challenges within women political empowerment and leadership;
- Knowledge management, including developing guidance on aspects of women’s political empowerment and leadership in post-conflict settings for dissemination and use in the Somali context;
- Prepare analytical reports, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, talking points and others as requested by senior management of UN Women CO;
- Coordinate exchange of information and knowledge products internally and externally of the programme;
- Organize major advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products.
- Strategic Position on National Policies and Plans pertaining to Women, Peace and Security processes;
- Programme development, management and implementation;
- Effective management and accountability of the Women, Peace and Security (WPS), Women Political Empowerment, Rule of Law and Enablers portfolios;
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation for timely delivery of results;
- Resource mobilization.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to lead the development of detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Demonstrated People Management Skills;
- Proven ability to advocate and provide policy, substantive and strategic advice in women, peace and security;
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships and mobilize resources;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills required;
- Strong knowledge of UN programme management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public administration, law, human rights, gender equality, management, social sciences or other related areas is required.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in managing complex and multi-component programme interventions with national partners, preferably related to Women, Peace and Security, Women’s Political Empowerment and Leadership;
- Experience working on inclusive politics in a fragile context, with demonstrated ability to deliver;
- Technical expertise and experience in programme/project design and implementation required, and experience from a gender perspective an advantage;
- Relevant experience from a conflict setting preferred. Relevant experience from Somalia an added advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm and professional under stress, and to strengthen capacity of staff and counterparts in multi-cultural settings;
- Familiarity with the UN system and knowledge of UN Women an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: mogadishu
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Security and Safety
- Peace and Development
- Closing Date: 2018-08-07