UN Women Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS) is implementing a regional programme which aims to respond to new challenges and opportunities raised by the Arab uprisings regarding Gender Equality and Women Empowerment (GEWE). It seeks to understand the root causes of gender inequalities and to address them through an innovative bottom-up approach.
With the overall goal to enhance gender equality in the region, the programme intends more specifically to contribute to the following:
- Understand the root causes of gender inequality in order to develop tools and conduct evidence-based advocacy for policy change;
- Strengthen the capacities and networks of GEWE civil society organizations, with a particular focus on the sustainability of new and emerging movements including youth groups;
- Develop community-based solutions to promote gender equality based on innovative approaches and South-South exchanges.
The programme is being implemented by the UN Women in Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, and Palestine. It is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation (Sida).
Objective of the Assignment:
Reporting to the Programme Manager, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the Regional Office for Arab States by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation, and evaluation. The person will, also, be responsible for supporting and facilitating the process for rolling out a second phase of the programme. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implementation of programme activities on engagement of men and boys for gender equality:
- Periodically suggest updates to the overall project framework on the basis of reviews, lessons learned, and best practices derived from different thematic areas and evaluations;
- Support the timely preparation and quality control of substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents, including donor reports for the end of year closure; and,
- Identify partners for a second phase;
- In collaboration with programme team, initiate procurement of goods and services including preparation of ToRs and RFPs, CPAs, PCAs etc.;
- In collaboration with the programme team, provide any additional technical, administrative and financial support to the Programme Manager, as needed.
2. Facilitation of knowledge building and management on engagement of men and boys for gender equality:
- Map and analyze the political, social and economic situation in the region related to the programme and prepare inputs to relevant programme planning documents;
- Identify sources of information related to thematic/ policy areas of focus;
- Update mapping and analyze legislation relevant to the policy areas;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to policy areas;
- Ensure knowledge is documented and systematized and fed back into project implementation including by contributing to the regional knowledge hub as well as networks both within UN Women and beyond; and,
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
3. Establish and support partnerships within and beyond the UN system in regard to the engagement of men and boys for gender equality:
- Attend meetings and participate in activities with the goal to increase the outreach of the programme and its knowledge products;
- Support the development of strategic partnerships and alliances with other UN organizations, multilateral organizations, regional organizations, academic and technical organizations; contribute to the negotiations in establishing such partnerships, drafting of agreements and monitoring their implementation; and,
- Ensure close co-operation with other UN Women teams; develop alliances and working partnerships (thematic, advocacy, regional resource facilities, etc.).
Deliverables and Payment Schedule
The deliverables for the assignment will be the following:
- Regional learning meeting organized and implemented in collaboration with programme team;
- Programme framework updated on best practices and lessons learnt and informed by the learning meeting to be held in October 2018;
- Regional engagement strategy developed;
- Quality control of technical reports and briefs;
- Support finalization and submission of documents for the continuation of the programme (second phase);
- Technical, administrative and financial support.
Payment will be monthly, based on the submission of a monthly report on deliverables – with deliverables attached, a completed timesheet and certificate of payment.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to work plans and budgets;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
- Relationship with partners and stakeholders;
- Timely organization of events;
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations;
- Good analytical skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond positively to feedback;
- Ability to complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Good knowledge of engagement of men and boys in gender equality;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in law, human rights or international development.
- Two years of professional experience in the areas of development, programme/project implementation, coordination, and/ or reporting; with at least one year of experience working on the engagement of men and boys for gender equality;
- Experience with results-based management;
- Experience with gender equality and women’s rights issues in the Arab States region;
- Experience in facilitating cross country learning;
- Experience with UN Women and other international organizations.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology: Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for the financial evaluation. Criteria Weight Technical: 70%
- Criterion 1: Master’s degree or equivalent in law, human rights or international development. (15 points)
- Criterion 2: Experience working on the engagement of men and boys for gender equality and women’s rights issues in the Arab States region. (20 points)
- Criterion 3: Experience with results-based management and cross-country learning. (20 points)
- Criterion 4: Experience with UN Women and other international organizations. (15 points)
Financial: Lowest Financial Proposal: 30%
- Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combined score (financial and technical);
- The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula: (Lowest Bid Offered*)/ (Bid of the Consultant) x 30;
- 'Lowest Bid Offered' refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in the technical evaluation.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11);
- Financial proposal;
- Proof of a Master’s degree.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW, and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
UN Women is applying fair and transparent selection process that would take into account both the technical qualification of Consultants as well as their price proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores.
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Cairo (Egypt)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-06