Gender Analyst- Re-advertisement (Opens only to South Sudan Nationals)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the DGSU Chief Programme Advisor, in collaboration with HDIGU Chief Programme Advisor, Chief Technical Advisors, Team Leaders, Programme Specialist, Programme Analysts, and Project Managers in Democratic Governance and Stabilization Unit (DGSU), the Human Development Inclusive Growth Unit (HDIG), Strategic Analysis Unit (SAU) and the Programme and Management Support Unit (PMSU), the Gender Specialist supports the whole Country Office on mainstreaming Gender Equality and Women Empowerment (GEWE) in UNDP CO Programmes and Operations;
1. Provide advice and support to UNDP management, programmes, projects, budgets and implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct county gender analysis and provide substantive inputs to UNDAF, CPD, and other strategic documents as it relates to GEWE.
- Undertake gender analysis of policy and programme documents including country offices reports in institutionalizing gender mainstreaming for development effectiveness.
- Prepares high quality bankable gender responsive programme and projects relevant to the current country context and present the same to donors and government counterparts
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation of GEWE across the programmes.
- Ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national gender policies and priorities.
- Production and launch of gender reports.
- Provide technical backstopping in the collection and use of sex-disaggregated statistical data and gender analysis for development of engendered programme and project reports.
- Represent UNDP in different working groups and interagency working groups.
2. Facilitate knowledge development and sharing on gender issues across programme and operations in order to achieve the following results:
- Support the development of national knowledge products and disseminate best practices;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Ensure knowledge sharing, documentation and dissemination of good practices on gender equality, women’s empowerment and rights within the UNCT and the broader UN system;
- Comment on and contribute to knowledge products developed by the CO, programme and projects.
- Act as resource person in capacity building, knowledge sharing events and other relevant activities on gender equality and women’s empowerment in the UN System;
- Assessment of the country's gender policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, etc.
- Ensure that UNDP staff and national partners have and understanding of gender equality and women empowerment in the areas of intervention.
3. Ensure effective management and implementation of the gender equality strategy and the CO Gender Seal certification process and affiliated deliverables.
- Effective application of Results Based Management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of gender sensitive results;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the policy environment, timely readjustment of gender equality strategy and the gender seal action plan;
- Ensure up to date policy advice and facilitate knowledge development and sharing on gender issues across programme and operations,
- Lead and support the Gender Seal Certification initiative of the Country Office;
- Prepare quarterly reports and other reports as necessary.
4. Establish partnerships and support to resource mobilization in order to achieve the following results:
- Development of partnerships with other UN Agencies, including the Gender Task Team and the ICF outcome group on gender;
- Undertake selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that feed into government/development partners processes.
- Liaise and work with donor agencies to mobilize additional resources for the gender-related activities.
5. Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Public and policy advocacy for corporate gender policies, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings;
- Management of events and publications on gender issues including organizing roundtables and conferences to stimulate reforms and promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication – Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Advocacy-Ability to design and implement strategic short/long term campaigns and carry out customized activations to highlight UNDP’s position and support issue based advocacy.
Building Strategic Partnership-Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and protocols to achieve specific goals
Knowledge Management and Learning- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Management and Leadership-Ability to develop, support and maintain applications
Development and Operational Effectiveness-Ability to develop business and planning processes at the national and local level and the ability to apply strategic and/or practical situations
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area Experience in gender responsive analysis and project development in a developing country context
- Knowledge of the gender equality issues in a crisis and humanitarian country context in Africa is desirable
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis;
- Excellent drafting and presentation skills;
- Substantial experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of gender projects;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
This vacancy announcement is for qualified South Sudanese nationals only
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.undp.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNDP Personal History Form. Please note that UNDP only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.undp.org will be considered and applications received after closing date will not be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNDP South Sudan vacancies, only applicants short-listed for written test and interview will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: juba
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Democratic Governance
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2018-08-17