Climate Change Project Development Specialist (GEF PPG Team Leader)
home based with travel within bih
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), acting as an implementing agency of the Global Environment Facility (GEF), is also providing assistance to the B&H Government in the preparation and implementation of the GEF funded projects “Fourth National Communication under the UNFCCC and Third Biennial Update Report” project) and “Integrated reporting and transparency system of Bosnia and Herzegovina” (CBIT project).
The objective of project “Integrated reporting and transparency system of Bosnia and Herzegovina” is to develop a National Transparency Framework which will enhance implementation and abide by the transparency provisions of the Paris Agreement.
B&H became a Party to the Paris Agreement in February 2017, and now needs to put in place robust climate and energy policies that will enable the implementation of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) pledge and its potential strengthening in the coming years. This policy framework should create enabling environment for decision-making on future objectives, targets, and priority policies and measures for mitigation.
In line with the GEF project cycle and in order to further strengthen the institutional capacities in Bosnia and Herzegovina in climate change field, the project identification form was developed and approved by the GEF in May 2018 https://www.thegef.org/project/integrated-reporting-and-transparency-system-0
This project aims to provide Bosnia and Herzegovina with an overarching structure across all sectors and key institutions that will ensure high quality in its transparency instruments, as well as creating the capacities to foster the improved adoption of MRV related data for policy decisions in the segment of climate change.
Additionally, it will ensure the establishment of a robust MRV/Enhanced transparency system from its design to its implementation stage, providing the country with robust and reliable data flows that will shape the design and monitoring of mitigation policies and actions consistent with the enhanced Transparency Framework under the Paris Agreement.
The CBIT funding will ensure an improved governance structure in BiH that would define clear roles and responsibilities within the institutions, standardized data protocols and methodologies.
The CBIT funding will also be used to improve the MRV of different key sectors within BiH. For this, new data and data flows will be generated via innovative surveys and studies that will provide periodic information for the development and monitoring of mitigation actions and policies. Moreover, specific training and capacity building in data analysis will provide the sectorial institutions with new tools to tap into data sources that historically have not been gathered.
UNDP is seeking for a short-term consultancy position to provide assistance to UNDP Energy and Environment Sector in preparation of the final documentation needed for endorsement of the UNDP-GEF medium-size project “Integrated reporting and transparency system of Bosnia and Herzegovina” including preparation of the following documentation package:
- Review and assessment of the individual, institutional, and systemic capacities that will inform the strategic and technical design of the project;
- Review of currently ongoing climate change related projects with recommendations on building synergies in order to have better results;
- Studies to address any opportunities/risks identified during an environmental and social screening of the project proposal;
- UNDP-GEF Project Document and accompanying project documentation.
To assist UNDP in the development of new initiatives within the Energy and Environment Sector.
To prepare Project Document and accompanying project documentation needed for endorsement of the UNDP-GEF medium-size project “Integrated reporting and transparency system of Bosnia and Herzegovina”.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Climate change Project Development Specialist will be the GEF PPG (project preparation grant) Team Leader and will be responsible for quality assurance and timely preparation of all reports and documentation, including the finalized UNDP Project Document (ProDoc) and CEO Endorsement Request, with all mandatory and project specific Annexes and supporting documentation. S/he will be responsible for managing all consultants on the GEF PPG Team, and coordinating the Team’s work.
Management of the GEF PPG Team:
Define and submit a detailed methodology and work plan in consultation with the other consultants with clear delegation of responsibilities for the International Consultants (ICs) and National Consultants (NCs);
Ensure that project development is participatory, gender-responsive and based on extensive stakeholder engagements; and
Verify and ensure that all project components are technically sound and cost effective.
- Preparatory Technical Studies and Reviews (Component A): With inputs from the other national and international consultants, as detailed in their respective TORs:
Compile baseline/situational analysis for the medium-size project (MSP). This will include a precise definition of baseline projects, activities, budgets, goals and co-financial links to GEF outcomes; definition of GEF incremental value per outcome and output; and presentation of results of the incremental cost-analysis in matrices as appropriate;
Oversee the stakeholder analysis and consultations and ensure that they are complete and comprehensive;
Ensure the preparation of the gender analysis and ensure its findings are meaningfully integrated into the project’s strategy, theory of change and results framework;
Ensure action points, including risk assessments, from the UNDP Social and Environmental Screening Procedure (SESP) at the PIF stage (“pre-screening”) are fully implemented during the PPG, and update that screening in an iterative fashion throughout the PPG, as appropriate;
Conduct/oversee the identification of the project sites, with documentation of selection criteria;
Oversee the consultations with partners regarding financial planning; and
Ensure completion of any additional studies that are determined to be needed for the preparation of the ProDoc and all other final outputs.
- Formulation of the ProDoc, CEO Endorsement Request and Mandatory and Project Specific Annexes (Component B): With inputs from the other national and international consultants, as detailed in their respective TORs, and based on international best practice:
Develop, present and articulate the project’s theory of change;
Develop the Results Framework in line with UNDP-GEF policy;
Develop a detailed Monitoring and Evaluation Plan and Budget;
Oversee and ensure the preparation of a Stakeholder Engagement Plan;
Oversee and ensure the preparation of a Gender Action Plan and Budget;
Update the SESP based on assessments undertaken during Component A, and ensure the development of environmental and/or social management plan(s) for all risks identified as Moderate or High in the SESP;
Prepare the required GEF tracking tool(s);
Secure and present agreements on project management arrangements;
- Ensure the completion of the required official endorsement letters; and
Synthesize all analyses, studies, etc. that are prepared under Components A and B to produce the draft UNDP-GEF ProDoc, GEF CEO Endorsement, and all mandatory and project specific Annexes, using the required templates.
- Validation Workshop (Component C):
Lead the validation workshop to present, discuss and validate the final draft ProDoc and mandatory and project specific annexes, with a special focus on the SESP and any management plans; and
Oversee all necessary revisions that arise during the workshop.
- Ensure completion of Validation Workshop Report.
- Final Deliverables:
- Consolidation of all technical and consultation inputs including from national stakeholders, UNDP, GEF Secretariat, STAP and GEF Council, into a well written and concise UNDP ProDoc with all required sections and Annexes, in line with the standard UNDP-GEF ProDoc template and annotated guidance;
Completion of the GEF CEO Endorsement Request;
All documentation from GEF PPG (including technical reports, etc.); and
Validation Workshop Report.
The following documents are to be consulted as background documentation:
- PIF cleared for WP inclusion or GEF Council approved PIF (PFD and child project concept note for projects that are part of a program);
- SESP pre-screening (of PIF);
- Comments from GEF Secretariat, Council, STAP;
- Annotated UNDP-GEF Project Document Template and associated guidance included therein.
The final outputs of the GEF PPG are:
UNDP-GEF Project Document (ProDoc), using the 2017 standard template.
- Mandatory annexes to the ProDoc, including gender analysis and action plan, and stakeholder engagement plan, among others, and project specific annexes (e.g. landscape profile, institutional and legal analysis, feasibility studies etc).
GEF CEO Endorsement Request.
Validation Workshop report (as appropriate for projects with a moderate and high SESP risk rating).
- Detailed Assignment Workplan prepared and accepted, including proposed stakeholder consultations plan - 7 calendar days upon contract signature;
- Draft UNDP Project Document submitted for comments - 5th December 2018;
- Final UNDP Project Document and GEF CEO Endorsement Request with all relevant documentation (GHG Tracking Tool, Social Screening template) prepared and accepted for submission to the GEF - 15th January 2019, or 10 days after receiving final comments from all the key stakeholders;
- Final Medium-sized GEF CEO Endorsement Request, upon received comments from GEF Sec, accepted by UNDP and GEF - 10 March 2019, or 10 days upon received comments from GEF Sec.
Note 1: The Deliverables provided will be quality reviewed and approved by UNDP Energy Environment Sector Leader, the GEF Project Manager and the UNDP Regional Technical Advisor from the UNDP Regional Centre. The deliverables have to be submitted in English.Note 2: Payments for deliverables will be lump-sum based as per deliverable, excluding local travel costs. Local travel will be organized and paid upon UNDP approval. International travel costs to and from B&H should be included in the lump-sum.
 Please verify with the UNDP-GEF team that the correct templates are being used.
- Strong expertise in Climate Change and Environmental Management;
- Experience in developing institutional arrangements for multi-national projects;
- Familiarity with the UN and EU requirements addressing Climate Change;
- Experience in drafting project proposals;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily;
- Familiarity with GEF policies, templates and requirements for MSP;
- Previous experience of working in the Western Balkan countries for climate change mitigation and/or low-carbon development will be an asset.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior members of national institutions;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant collected data and findings for the preparation of quality analysis for the project proposal;
- Excellent coordination skills and result-oriented collaboration with colleagues (e.g. national consultants).
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Good team player who has the ability to maintain good relationships.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree natural sciences, environmental management or relevant related fields.
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field, such as environment, climate change, project design will be an asset.
- Proven expert knowledge of the GEF Project Cycle;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience;
- Proven experience in developing/implementing similar projects – preferably in the region;
- Proven international experience in project development in climate change portfolio, means of verification: the list of prepared projects along with verifiable references;
- Previous successful experience in development and approval of the GEF project documents; means of verification: the list of prepared/evaluated projects along with verifiable references;
- Previous experience with UNDP/UN Agenciesis a great advantage;
- Experience in working with wide range of stakeholders (private, governmental, etc.).
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly evaluated based on submitted methodology
- Fluency in both written and spoken English language (excellent writing, editing and communication skills) demonstrated in submitted one-page segment on English of any relevant study/publication/written document compiled in order to assess language
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- Criteria A : Methodology (document which contains brief explanation on approach to conduct the work) - Weight:30%, Maximum points: 30;
- Criteria B: Excellent knowledge of English language demonstrated in submitted documents - Weight: 25%, Maximum points: 25;
- Criteria C: Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly evaluated based on submitted methodology - Wight: 15%, Maximum points: 15;
- Criteria D: Ratings based on shortlisting criteria (Academic qualifications/education; Relevant professional experience; Prior work experience with UNDP/UN agencies; Knowledge of English - Weight: 30%, Maximum points: 30;
Financial Criteria: Weight: 30%, Maximum points: 30'
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work; or sample of previous document/strategy/paper done by the consultant;
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: home based with travel within bih
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Climate Change
- Project and Programme Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-13