UN VOLUNTEER DESCRIPTION OF ASSIGNMENT
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Type of Assignment: National UN Volunteer
2. Type of Assignment Place: National UN Volunteer (Chinese nationals only)
3. Assignment Title: Programme Assistant
4. Link with UNV Strategic Framework : National Capacity Development through volunteer schemes
5. Duty Station, Country: Beijing, China
6. Duration (in months): 12
7. Expected Starting Date: Mid August 2018
8 Host Agency/Host Institute: UNDP/China International Center for Economic and Technical Exchanges (CICETE)
9. Organizational Context/Project:
Directly under the Ministry of Commerce, The China international Center for Economic and Technical Exchanges (hereafter referred to as CICETE) is a public institution, which was founded on March 12, 1983 with the approval of the State Council. Since its establishment, CICETE has witnessed an extraordinary history of nearly three decades, during which it deems its responsibility to promote economic and technical exchanges between China and the rest of the world and make great contributions to China’s economic and social development.
CICETE's main function, delegated by the Ministry, is to coordinate the cooperation between China and UNDP, UNIDO and UNV including executing their cooperated programs with China, and to implement projects of general goods supply under the China-Aid programme to other developing countries. Meanwhile, we organize conferences, exhibitions and overseas trainings, invite international short-term and long-term consultants, and provide project management service for international organizations, government agencies and enterprises. In addition, we have also been cooperating actively with international Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and enterprises through our subsidiary bodies-China Association for NGO Cooperation, China Association for Promoting UN Procurement, China Association for Trade in Service, and China-Han Technical Development Co. Ltd.
Brief Portfolio Description:
The UN Volunteer will assist in the programme formulation and management, coordination, and supervision of UNDP cooperated programmes/projects in China, which mainly include, but not limited to, Regional Youth Project on Leadership, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship; Regional Programme—Unlocking Innovation To Achieve the SDGs; SDGs Localization in China Umbrella Project; and the UNV volunteering Programme. The first three projects/programmes are under the formulation phase and their backgrounds are as follows:
Regional Youth Project on Leadership, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship
This project will focus on establishing a network to foster youth-led social entrepreneurship, supports youth leadership initiatives, and provide grants for incubation financial mechanisms to fund youth-led programmes aimed at achieving the Sustainable Development Goals(SDG). The project will also support research and knowledge exchange activities to inform current and new youth initiatives.
It is expected to fulfill its commitments to the youth in the region within the overall framework of The Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and SDGs. UNDP and its partners will provide support in catalyzing youth innovation, building better data and participatory research, realizing youth empowerment, youth inclusiveness, and leading role of the youth through technologies.
Regional Programme—Unlocking Innovation To Achieve the SDGs
With economic growth and social progress, the traditional drivers are no longer sufficient and innovation in its many facets offers additional value. This is especially true of emerging Asia, where new technologies and an appetite for reforms is creating new entry points through which we can address the stubborn development challenges of our generation. Of particular importance is the impact of innovation and knowledge spill over on the economic growth and development potential of developing countries. Recognizing this, it is observed that governments in the Asia and Pacific region are increasingly investing in dedicated teams, units and funds to structure and embed innovation methods and practices to improve delivery of services. These include Republic of Korea, Malaysia, and Singapore. The region also boasts over 50 innovation labs oriented towards social innovation and improving the design and delivery of public services for achieving the SDGs.
SDGs Localization in China Umbrella Programme
This programme aims to accelerate the localization of SDGs in China (providing positioning, training, consultation, implementation, and certification). It will show how China endeavors to realize SDGs through coordination among the government, UNDP, NGOs, and the private sectors. Meanwhile, it will also promote local development and SDGs to solve local development challenges by helping the government better understand SDGs and national/local development plans (FYP), building civil servant capacity, finding solutions to poverty and other development challenges, and integrating the resources of multiple stakeholders. Besides, it will provide a platform for the localization and global success of China’s SDGs and become a model for sustainable development.
The UNDP/UNV volunteering Programme
Strengthening China’s Involvement in the Development of International Volunteer Service through South-South Cooperation and the Belt and Road Initiative, launched in September, 2016, is jointly implemented by the Chinese government, UNDP, and UNV. Under the strategic framework of South-South cooperation and the Belt and Road Initiative, this programme creates opportunities for Chinese Volunteer Involving Organizations to engage in regional and international cooperation following the principles of South-South cooperation and sustainable development.
10. Description of tasks:
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Division Director of UN Programmes Division I of CICETE, the UN Volunteer will work in close collaboration with the tema members, Implementation Agencies ( IP ), PMO, and the experts. The UN Volunteer will provide overall support to the formulation, implementation, coordination, supervision and management of the UNDP cooperated programmes/projects in China according to the National Implementing Manual, the programme/project document and annual work plan.
Specific tasks includes:
- Assist in the formulation and approval of new programmes/projects, assist in drafting and modifying programme/project document, annual work plan, budget and relevant document;
- Familiar with the programme/project document contents and objectives, responsible for reviewing and revising the monthly, quarterly, and annually work plans of the programmes/projects;
- Responsible for liaison, coordination and consultation with Division Director of CICETE, the Implementation Agencies and experts;
- Monitor the programmes/projects implementation progress, identify and report issues/challenges associated with responsible programmes/projects to the Division Director in order to ensure the smooth implementation of the programmes/projects;
- Preparing and organizing programme working meetings, seminars, trainings and tri-partite Review Meeting(TPR), draft relevant meeting materials (including prepareing relevant materials/briefing reports before meeting, drafting meeting minutes, and etc.);
- Draft the monthly, quarterly, and annually programmes/projects progress reports;
- Responsible for compilation and documentation of programmes/projects documents and relevant materials and ensure timely update
- Get familiar with the implementation regulations and procedures of all UN programmes/projects and responsible for the financial management of the programmes/projects, such as budget revision, advance payment request, approval and payment of programme activities, and other financial statements as requested;
- Support translation and interpretation between Chinese and English;
- Participate in division activities, e.g., monthly meetings, formulation of division work plans, reporting to divisin director.
- Complete other tasks assigned by division director.
Required Skills and Experience
11. Results/Expected Output:
The NUNV will contribute towards the following programme outputs:
- Effective support to the programme/projects initiation, management and implementation;
- Effective support to the partnerships building and communication with IPs, UN partners and experts;
- Effective support to the drafting of progress reporting documents for all programme/projects and regular programme/projects monitoring ensured throughout the implementation
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Familiar with programme management, previous experiences of international programme management would be highly preferred;
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills,
- Strong relationship building skills with internal and external counterparts;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- good computer skills;
- Bachelor or higher degree in Public Administration, International Development, Political Science, Social Sciences, or a related field
- At least 1 year relevant work experience, preferably at the national or international level in the formulation, implementation, and monitoring of development projects;
- Previous experience with the UN system and government agencies, including solid knowledge of UN/UNDP programme and operations policies and procedures an asset.
- Full professional proficiency in English and Chinese, written and oral.
13. Living Conditions:
The duty station of the national UN Volunteer is located in Beijing city, where modest public infrastructure and health services are available. It is the foremost political and cultural metropolis in China. The city has excellent health services available.
In general, rent for apartments in central locations is high relative to other regions in China, but quality is good. Beijing is well served by many shopping malls, large supermarket chains and international brands. Buses and subways are the most common form of mass transportation. Metered taxis are widely available and domestic and regional travel by train and airplane is popular.
14. Conditions of Service for national UN Volunteers
The National UN Volunteer receives a standard volunteer living allowance (VLA), which is intended to cover their accommodation and basic living expenses. In China the VLA is 8,167 RMB per month. The National UN Volunteer is entitled to an excellent health, life and disability insurance package. A modest Settling-in Grant and end of assignment allowance will also be provided, along with travel to and from the duty station. The National UN Volunteer is entitled to 2.5 days personal leave per month and government official holidays.
Description of Assignment Prepared By:
China International Center for Economic and Technical Exchanges
Mr. Liu Jun
Director, DivisionⅠof UN Programmes,CICETE
Date: August 6, 2018
Description of Assignment Approved By:
Ms. Zheng Kun
Country Programme Analyst, UNV China
Date: August 6, 2017
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from quaified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Beijing (China)
- Grade: National UN Volunteer - Locally recruited Volunteer
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20