Programme Assistant for Infrastructure (three positions), Multiple positions
Novi Pazar (Serbia) | Vranje
Background Information - Job-specific
The European Union Support to Municipal Development – EU PRO Programme (1) will contribute to a more balanced socio-economic development of Serbia, by enhancing competitiveness and social cohesion of 99 municipalities, in two regions: Šumadija and Western Serbia and South and Eastern Serbia (2). The European Union (EU) allocated 25 million Euros for the Programme that will be implemented by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) during 36 months.
There are three results that the Programme will achieve:
- Result 1: Improved technological structure of SMEs and their ability to export
- Result 2: Improved conditions for business operations through more efficient administrative service provision, better land management and specific infrastructure investments
- Result 3: Better social cohesion and attractive living environment through improvement of small scale public infrastructure and social relations.
The direct beneficiaries of the EU PRO are local administration structures, local SMEs, civil society organisations (CSOs) and business support organisations (BSOs). The final beneficiaries are the inhabitants of 99 municipalities.The EU PRO Programme is based on the National Priorities for International Assistance in the Republic of Serbia 2014-2017, with projections until 2020 (NAD)(3), significant for Serbia’s EU accession process and socio-economic development. Its activities will be undertaken in partnership with the Government of Serbia, while respecting the national strategies, laws and relevant development documents, in order to ensure national ownership and help develop national capacities.
 The Programmes is based on Serbia Local Development Action Document within the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA) 2016 http://europa.rs/eu-assistance-to-serbia/ipa/ipa-2016/?lang=en
 Forty-five municipalities are from the third and the fourth category of development, 44 are from the first and the second. The two regions, Šumadija and Western Serbia and South and Eastern Serbia, are less developed comparing to Belgrade and Vojvodina.
UNOPS Serbia Operations Centre is planning to fill three positions based on this Vacancy Announcement in the following cities: Novi Pazar, Vranje and Niš.Under the direct supervision of the Sector Manager for Infrastructure, the Programme Assistant for Infrastructure will provide assistance in implementation of activities within the Sector. He or she will work closely with Sector Associates and Engineers in order to contribute to efficient and effective monitoring of implementation of projects within this Sector aiming at creation of improved conditions for business operations through provision of more efficient administrative services, enhanced land management and implementation of social and economic infrastructure projects.
The Programme Assistant for Infrastructure will undertake the following activities/responsibilities:
- Maintain relationship with the Sector beneficiaries, as per agreement with the Sector Manager for Infrastructure
- Provide assistance in organisation of events related to the Programme’s support to Infrastructure
- With guidance from the line manager, closely monitor implementation of projects related to Infrastructure
- Conduct field visits to Sector beneficiaries in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) assigned by the Sector Manager
- Liaise with the Programme operations team to support successful implementation of grant agreements by maintaining regular in order to ensure timely exchange of information on the status of provision of services, procurements and grant agreements
- With guidance from the line manager, and in coordination with other Sector personnel, provide basic technical assistance to the Sector beneficiaries in implementation of projects
- Provide assistance in collection, preparation, and archiving of documentation related to processing of Sector related financial transactions
- Establish activity progress tracking sheets and regularly update with inputs provided by beneficiaries and services providers
- Maintain archive related to Infrastructure activities, as per agreement with the Sector Manager and in line with the UNOPS/EU PRO requirements
- With the guidance of the Sector Manager, liaise with retainers and service providers to support implementation of the Sector activities including gathering data on their engagement, collecting and storing their reports, communicating directly with retainers in relation to administrative and procedural issues
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and assist in implementation of mitigation measures in accordance with the Risk Management Strategy
- Assist in drafting reports as envisaged by the Programme Document and other reports required by the Sector Manager
- Assist in development of the Programme’s plans
- Assist in monitoring of activities against the Logical Framework Matrix indicators
- Contribute to identification and sharing of Programme’s lessons learned and best practices
- Contribute to efficient and effective use of EU PRO and UNOPS tools for monitoring of Programme’s performance, outputs and benefits
- Contribute to the successful administrative and financial closure of activities within the Sector.
- Provide support to Programme’s communication and visibility activities
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.At the request of the Programme Manager and as may be reasonably required, provide support to the RSOC activities in line with the scope of services above in order to further the common objectives of the RSOC and its projects’ donors.
- Secondary education is required
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in engineering, urban/municipal planning, environmental studies, social science or any related field is an asset
- Four years of experience in project support functions related to infrastructure is required. Bachelor’s degree may substitute for some years of experience.
- Direct experience in assisting implementation of grant schemes is an asset
- Fluency in Serbian and English is required
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Ongoing ICA
Contract level: Local ICA 4
Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background information – UNOPS Serbia
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Novi Pazar (Serbia) | Vranje
- Grade: LICA-4, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Administrative support
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2018-08-14