Programme Officer – Monitoring and Evaluation - Yangon
Programme Officer – Monitoring and Evaluation - Yangon
Funded by the European Union, the STEP Democracy Programme is a long-term programme designed to support Myanmar’s democratic transition. Beginning in 2015, STEP will continue its support to electoral processes, political participation and representation and robust legal frameworks under its second phase (STEP II) extending until 2021. This will be done through extensive partnerships with national institutions including the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties, civil society and the media. STEP Democracy has a strong commitment to an open and flexible approach to democratic reform which is mindful of the rich history and cultural diversity of Myanmar and which does not seek to impose solutions.
As the implementing partner of STEP II, International IDEA will have a key role in the monitoring and evaluation of the work undertaken by the programme as a whole, as well as of its own activities relating to continued support to the UEC. It is within this framework that a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be recruited.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) frameworks, processes and practices for the STEP Democracy programme that respond to both EU needs and are aligned with International IDEA’s M&E results framework;
- Provides accurate and timely data to facilitate effective oversight and decision making for the STEP Democracy programme; Coordinates effective project and programme evaluations;
- Builds capacity and ensures understanding of the STEP Democracy programme in correctly implementing, monitoring, evaluation and utilization of data to inform programme planning, implementation, adaptation and development; Contributes to trainings for national partners on M&E related processes;
- Supports the STEP programme annual planning and compilation of partner inputs;
- Supports liaison between STEP project partners on M&E and more widely as needed;
- Supports liaison with the EU on monitoring, evaluation and the communication of results;
- Develops and produces all reporting under the STEP Democracy programme – including quarterly, yearly and final project reports;
- Participates in the continuous development of policies, guidelines, standards and tools for Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Results-Based Management in collaboration with International IDEA’s HQ and the donor as relevant;
- Supports work in internal and external communication on programme results.
- Requires in-depth knowledge in strategic planning, results-based management and reporting; guides the formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Is experienced in building strong relationships with programme partners, focusing on impact and results; Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her duties;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional and donor guidelines;
- Anticipates internal challenges and issues and recommends process improvements;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager, STEP Democracy Programme
- Has in-depth knowledge in own discipline and good understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field/international experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to monitoring and evaluation and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues; has the ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity with proven capacity to coach teams;
- Assumes responsibilities for effective M&E.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus.
Education and Experience
- University degree, in development studies, business administration, management, international development or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation including planning and participating in evaluations; Minimum three 3 years of experience with qualitative and quantitative results monitoring and research methods;
- Fluency in written and oral English; Myanmar language would be a considerable asset; an additional language in an IDEA Region (Arabic, French, Spanish), would also be considered an asset.
Terms of Contract
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
- Salary €4 745 NET per month plus benefits
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 8 August 2018. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
- Organization: IDEA - International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
- Location: Yangon (Myanmar)
- Grade: Mid level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-08