VN 2018/139 (P) - International Engineer (P2) - Niamey, Niger
Position Title International Engineer
Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 15 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager (Immigration and Border Management (IBM)) in IOM Niamey and in close coordination with the IOM Niger Procurement and Logistics Unit. The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the development of design and technical documentation as well as tendering, company selection recommendations, construction monitoring and evaluations (Architectural and Engineering Design, Technical Specifications, Bill of Quantities (BoQ), Cost Estimates and Construction Time Schedules) for the construction of a new headquarters building for the Directorate of Territorial Surveillance (DST) in Niamey, Niger.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Effectively coordinate work activities with the Project Manager to facilitate the delivery of activities according to criteria specified, on time and within budget to the best interests of IOM. 2. Contribute to the development of the design of the DST headquarters building into a coherent proposal, allowing construction contractors to completely understand and interpret in order to effectively carry out the work according to the design and technical documentation. Page 1 / 43. Develop the designs and technical documentation, as well as work schedules, for elements and structures related to the main headquarters building and the security perimeter (in both hard and soft copy), including:
a. Standard Architectural Designs including plans, sections, details, elevations and perspectives in standard scale;
b. Preparation of tentative cost estimates;
c. Preparation of general specifications for building materials and workmanship; d. Preparation of schedules of proposed building materials and finishes (BOQs); e. Structural drawings;
f. Internal and external finishes;
g. Electrical installations;
h. External works and landscaping;
I. Water supply and waste water management (Sanitation System/lines);
j. Access road and pedestrian facilities (when necessary);
k. Proposed project implementation schedule (construction time schedules). 4. Evaluate the requirements for the new building, to be determined in close coordination with the Directorate of Logistics and Infrastructure (DLI), and based on the assessment of the current DST building and specific design and layout elements deemed necessary to create an optimal workspace for the DST.
5. Perform Field visits to the identified construction sites and recommend potential adjustments to the construction plan.
6. Estimate the bill of quantities and costs, and potential changes according to the allocated budget.
7. Draft and submit for posting the call for proposals.
8. Analyze and evaluate the selection of the offers, bids received, and make recommendations accordingly.
9. Assist with the drafting of the construction contract.
10. Ensure close coordination with the Directorate of Logistics and Infrastructure (DLI) throughout the design and construction process to ensure proper identification and adherence to the requirements for the headquarters building.
11. Ensure proper follow up and support on tendering, contracting and controlling processes for the building construction.
12. Supervise local engineers in charge of on-site construction.
13. Ensure proper building handover to the DST.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Architecture, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
Page 2 / 4• Experience in urban planning, architectural design, project administration and construction management;
• Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation of concepts and procedures; experience in the construction field;
• Good writing and communication skills, and the ability to maintain effective working relationships; Ability to interpret information and identify and analyze problems; Excellent report writing skills;
• Overall good knowledge of IT and excellent skills in AutoCAD software;
• Proven ability to plan, coordinate and monitor own work under pressure and use time efficiently.
Fluency in French and working knowledge of English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Page 3 / 4For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 02.08.2018 to 15.08.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/139 (P) - International Engineer (P2) - Niamey, Niger (55506662) Released Posting: Posting NC55506689 (55506689) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey (Niger)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2018-08-15