Emergency Officer NOB- Temporary Appointment ( 364 days) ( Semera, Ethiopia - Open for Ethiopian Nationals)
UNICEF is looking for a professional to support the overall implementation of emergency preparedness and response plan in Afar region. If you have the required profile, you are highly encouraged to apply. Taking up this assignment is motivating and rewarding.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Caring Hands
To support the overall implementation of emergency preparedness and response plan in Afar region.
How can you make a difference?
Key deliverables & Accountabilities
- Humanitarian Situation Monitoring
- Provide expert technical support to government / partners / Afar FO team on the Core Commitments for Children in Humanitarian Action and assist in actualizing relevant evidence informed responses.
- Follow up the humanitarian situation in Afar and systematically report on how the humanitarian needs evolve and are being met.
- Establish a network of contacts, especially with government and humanitarian partners including UNICEF programme officers, to ensure that the information is triangulated/verified and factual information is shared with the relevant colleagues.
- Together with the Chief of Field Office/the responsive programme officers, participate in the weekly regional emergency cluster meetings and ad-hoc coordination task force meetings in Afar to get the latest updates on the overall humanitarian situation. When necessary, collaborate with regional / zonal / woreda appropriate coordination structures.
- Conducts field visits, and participates in joint assessment missions as appropriate, and provides recommendations for response and program improvement.
- Compile biweekly and weekly humanitarian Sitrep (narrative report, results matrix and indicator table) with action points to be reviewed by CFO and shared with Chief of Emergency and ECG colleagues
- Share written important emergency updates with the CFO and concurrently with Chief of Emergency and relevant ECG colleagues
- Provide inputs for donor humanitarian proposals and progress final donor reports
- Keep UNICEF emergency intervention maps updated
- UNICEF Supported Emergency Programme Planning and Monitoring
- Work directly with the POs in Afar and ECG focal points in Addis Ababa to implement Action Plan approved by Chief of Emergency and Deputy Representative
- Advise and assist POs and ECG focal points on the identification of the partners for the emergency response in Afar, taking into account their capacity on the ground
- Participate at the sectoral taskforce meetings as required, to contribute/advocate for the timeliness and quality the implementation of UNICEF supported programmes
- Undertake regular field monitoring missions to access the progress made in the implementation of the programmes in person.
- Operational Support
- Provide an oversight on the prepositioning supplies and ensure the requests and replenishment of emergency supplies are done in a timely manner
- Support the CFO in developing programme budgets and review them as required.
- Assist the CFO with the representation during donors or other high level missions in Afar.
- Inception Report
- Weekly situation & biweekly humanitarian Sitrep reports
- Humanitarian assessment/ mission reports
- UNICEF emergency programme summary report
- UNICEF intervention maps
- End of Mission Report
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in one of the following fields: social sciences, humanitarian action, public health, nutrition, environmental science, international relations, or other related disciplines.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience at the national and international levels in programme/project development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and administration.
- Experience of working in Afar region, and knowledge of the situation in the region is an asset
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required and speaking local language (Afari) and Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Semera
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Medical Practitioners
- Closing Date: 2018-08-18