Country Technical Analyst (Local recruitments *Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire; Cairo, Egypt; Lima, Peru; Nairobi, Kenya; New Delhi, India)
|Vacancy Announcement Number||1638|
|Date of Issue||11/07/2018|
|Deadline for Applications||20/08/2018|
|Organizational Unit||Sust. Prd. Mkts. & Instit.|
|Duration of Assignment||2 years|
*This is a Generic Vacancy Announcement for five Country Technical Analyst positions in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire; Cairo, Egypt; Lima, Peru; Nairobi, Kenya; New Delhi, India) at the NO-B level. These positions are open only to nationals of Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt, Peru, Kenya and India respectively.
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD) provides expert guidance on IFAD's strategic direction, thematic priorities, and technical quality of IFAD’s operations. It plays a critical role in providing technical expertise to operational teams to enhance development effectiveness, by generating and disseminating IFAD’s development knowledge and evidence on strategic themes and encouraging innovative application of cutting-edge global knowledge and evidence in IFAD investments to support countries tackle their most complex development challenges in fostering inclusive and sustainable rural transformation. SKD is composed of the (i) Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG); the (ii) Sustainable Production, Markets, and Institutions Division (PMI); and the (iii) Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA).
PMI provides technical support to IFAD Country Programs to ensure the proper application of corporate quality standards required for achieving development results and impact in key thematic areas, including food production systems (i.e. fisheries, livestock, agronomy), land, natural resources management, water and rural infrastructure, financial services, rural markets and enterprises and rural institutions. It contributes to the generation of evidence and knowledge on these themes and facilitates their use in IFAD country programs and activities.
The Country Technical Analyst serves as IFAD’s national technical expert in his/her area of expertise. S/he is responsible for analytical support to programme activities and performs functions related to IFAD’s mandate of improving rural food security and nutrition and enabling poor rural men and women to overcome their poverty, and to overall efforts of IFAD within the UN Common System to increase sustainable development capacity in developing countries. His/her accountabilities/key results are:
- Country Programmes and Project Design
- Project Supervision, Implementation Support and Completion
- Technical Analysis
- Knowledge Management
- Managerial Functions
The Country Technical Analyst works under the overall strategic, policy and management guidance of the Director PMI and the Regional Director responsible for the country to which s/he is assigned. S/he is directly supervised by the Lead Regional Technical Specialist, with dual reporting to the relevant Country Director/Head of the IFAD Sub-Regional Hub. S/he works in close collaboration with the Country Directors (CD)/Country Programme Managers (CPM), and other programme management and technical staff to ensure consistency, cohesion, and synergy in the application of technical support and provision of programme development support.
Country Technical Analysts may be required, but not extensively, to travel outside of their own country to perform the work of the Organization.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
1. COUNTRY PROGRAMMES AND PROJECT DESIGN: The Country Technical Analyst provides technical support in his/her area of expertise and supports the quality enhancement of project designs based on best practices and country knowledge. Working closely with other technical specialists and based on a planning exercise undertaken jointly between SKD and PMD, s/he supports PMI's Project Technical Leads to enhance the overall quality of projects across various thematic areas. S/he also provides targeted support to select project components on technical themes relevant to IFAD, contributes to background documents and preparatory activities, participates in design missions, and provides inputs to aide memoire and project design documents. S/he provides inputs into Results-based Country Strategic Opportunities Programme (COSOP) and Country Strategy Notes (CSN) as required.
2. PROJECT SUPERVISION, IMPLEMENTATION SUPPORT AND COMPLETION: The Country Technical Analyst provides technical support in his/her area of expertise. S/he focuses primarily on the readiness of technical elements during start-up and contributes to capacity building activities in his/her area of technical expertise. S/he supports Regional Technical Specialists in regular supervision, implementation support and project completion activities as required.
3. TECHNICAL ANALYSIS: The Country Technical Analyst undertakes analyses of technical themes relevant to IFAD and provides inputs to technical briefs, reports, and presentations to facilitate IFAD’s policy engagement in the region. S/he analyzes and draft reports on innovations and developments for knowledge sharing and scaling up and participates in relevant policy meetings and events as required. S/he analyzes and identifies potential partnership opportunities based on IFAD’s comparative advantage vis-a-vis other development partners/institutions.
4. KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: The Country Technical Analyst gathers evidenced based data from projects to contribute to the generation and dissemination of knowledge, good practices and innovations generated through loans and grants in the region on technical themes relevant to IFAD. S/he contributes to relevant knowledge management initiatives and products in coordination with the PMI Knowledge Management Officer and contributes to communities of practice as required.
5. MANAGERIAL FUNCTIONS: The Country Technical Analyst is accountable for IFAD core values and code of conduct, including integrity, transparency, and equity in the management of IFAD resources.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Technical analysis and synthesis of information and data, including database management, creates the foundation for IFAD’s decision-making and quality of policy and programme advice provided to regional staff and/or the government. Analytical documents and linked monitoring frameworks are used in the development and evaluation of IFAD’s country programme. Thus, the Country Technical Analyst supports the country office’s reputation for capacity and for programme delivery and enhances its recognition as a reliable development partner. S/He also supports the capitalization and dissemination of thematic knowledge from the ongoing loans and grants in the region and delivers in-country capacity building.
Representation / Work relationships
In the context of programme development and delivery, the Country Technical Analyst ensures the exchange of technical information as well as builds and maintains collaborative working relationships with counterparts and other partners to enhance consistency and reliability in the provision of development assistance to the governments. In work relationships with counterparts s/he establishes and maintains relationships and projects the image of IFAD as a credible/reliable partner striving for harmonization of development activities. S/He facilitates programme/project logistics and administration with local authorities as required. The Lead Regional Technical Specialist gives direct guidance to the Technical Analyst to ensure optimum support from PMI to the programme delivery of the Regional Division.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence
- Demonstrating Leadership: Leads by example; initiates and supports change
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Challenges, innovates and contributes to a learning culture
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture
- Problem solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally
- Managing performance and developing staff: Manages staff and teams effectively
- Technical expertise at the country and regional level in area(s) of specialization
- Thorough knowledge of national policies and development priorities as well as of government structure and operation
- Knowledge of rural project management and market development; field experience related to agricultural and rural development is desirable
- Knowledge of policy oriented, programme based pro-poor approaches, and loan and grant preparation
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to identify systemic administrative and logistic issues and recommend solutions
- Capacity to communicate fluently with different counterparts (civil society, government authorities, local communities, project staff) to align parties and build networks
- Writes clearly, succinctly, and convincingly listens and communicates effectively to engage others
- Computer skills: Knowledge of ERP systems is an asset, full command of office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and common Internet applications
Minimum recruitment qualifications
Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in rural development, agriculture, agricultural economics, rural finance, development policy or related disciplines.
At least two (2) years’ progressively responsible professional experience in development institutions and/or government service. Qualifying work experience in country programme analysis or loan/grant administration with International financial institutions, development cooperation agencies, etc., would be an asset.
For Cote d'Ivoire: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French, with a very good working knowledge of English.
For Egypt: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Arabic.
For Peru: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Spanish, with a very good working knowledge of English.
For Kenya: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and the prominent regional language.
For India: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and the prominent regional language.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.
IFAD is committed to achieving gender diversity. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
These positions are open only to nationals of Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt, Peru, Kenya and India respectively.
- Organization: IFAD - International Fund for Agricultural Development
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20