Partner Evaluation Assistant
Nairobi (Kenya) | Kenya
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps began working in Kenya in 2008 to address the societal wounds following the 2007 post-election violence. Since that time, Mercy Corps has built a robust and diverse portfolio in Kenya that is working to address structural causes of poverty and injustice and to strengthen systems that enable men, women and children to access opportunities, participate in and contribute to peaceful democratic processes, and thrive in the face of ecological and social change. To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen market and governance systems, address the root causes of conflict, and equip vulnerable populations - in particular youth, women, adolescents and marginalized communities- with the skills, opportunities and resources they need to be healthy, productive and to drive the development of their communities. We work closely with the private sector, civil society and governance structures at local and national levels to facilitate change and ensure that opportunities are inclusive of all Kenyans.
Program / Department Summary
Youth Impact Labs is a partnership between Mercy Corps and Google.org launched in 2017 to catalyze the creation of new work opportunities for young people by leveraging technology. Impact Labs operates from Amman and Nairobi as strategic regional hubs for the Middle East and East Africa. Impact Labs aims to think big, take risks, and test bold solutions by approaching underemployment and unemployment through a business-oriented innovation lens. We seek to build a strong regional pipeline of innovators ready to create high- impact, scalable employment opportunities across various markets - for today’s youth and generations to come. We are focusing on digital marketplaces and platforms that offer services to micro and small businesses; agricultural supply chain management; and digital work.
General Position Summary
This is a short term position for a duration of 3 months. The Partner Evaluation Assistant will be responsible for conducting initial market landscape assessments and conducting initial partner reviews in order to support the development of a partner investment pipeline. S/he will initiate company and market assessments, generate market sector briefs and prepare internal memos to support the partner selection process.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Conduct market research, analyze market trends on youth employment and technology;
- Conduct desk research to map out early stage tech enhanced businesses that are creating new employment opportunities
- Prepare market briefs of priority sectors based on market research conducted
- Conduct initial assessment of pitch decks and company financial statements
- Conduct initial assessment of job creation potential
- Prepare an investment memo of companies reviewed for internal purposes
Engagement Execution support
- Conduct initial review of the due diligence information gathered to determine accuracy and authenticity
- Consolidate and organize due diligence documents
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission; Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specificall to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports Directly To: Partnerships Manager
Works Directly With: Partnerships Manager, Investment Analyst
Knowledge and Experience
- This is an entry level position but 1- 2 years’ experience working in business, financial and/or technology analysis in the banking, technology, business support or NGO sectors is preferred
- Prior exposure to grant application assessment exercises
- Demonstrated aptitude for analytics and quantitative problem-solving
- Advanced skills in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Good writing and presentation skills
- Passion for youth employment programming and financial analysis
The ideal candidate should have the willingness to learn, improve and take feedback positively. S/he should be organized and possess good judgement. The ability to work effectively with people at all levels in the project is crucial.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before 17th August, 2018.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya) | Kenya
- Grade: Level not specified
- Project and Programme Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-17