Chief of Party
Kyiv (Ukraine) | Ukraine
The Project Director leads and manages the SAFEMed Project.
S/he is accountable for project deliverables and results and has full accountability and authority for the development, execution, and ongoing monitoring of the project, including technical strategy and vision; project and people management, documentation and reporting; client and stakeholder relationships; and “One MSH” contribution: coordination and synergy with other MSH projects, where applicable. This accountability includes effective contribution to business and resource development activities - including positioning, intelligence gathering, and proposal development - that contribute to fueling MSH’s mission.
Project Management (40%)
- Ensure achievement of SAFEMed contract goals (meeting or exceeding expected project targets and deliverables on time and within budget) as per contract and client approved work plan and Performance Monitoring Plan.
- Develop, adapt as needed, and implement project management systems within MSH policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures while ensuring local ownership, appropriateness and responsiveness.
- Develop and adapt as needed detailed project budget in line with contract budget, technical strategy, work plan, and reporting needs/ requirements.
- Implement a Financial Pipeline Tracking system, in collaboration with the home office, for effective budget monitoring and cost control based on sound financial and accounting principles, MSH guidelines, and donor requirements.
- Ensure effective contract implementation in strict compliance with contract clauses, MSH and donor policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Safeguard MSH’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
Client and other Stakeholder Relationships (30%)
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, subcontractors, consultants, and suppliers. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Continually scan project environment and ensure effective dialogue and relationships with project client(s), beneficiaries and other local and international stakeholders.
- Build MSH reputation, developing local and international networks to disseminate project results, attract talent and generate business.
- Identify and keep track of new business opportunities, communicating them to the relevant internal MSH stakeholders.
Management of People (20%)
- Promote a team approach that emphasizes high level performance, creative approaches, the achievement of personal and project goals and a collegial approach that is focused on assisting one another to succeed for project staff in Ukraine, as well as the support team members in the Home Office.
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, Mission and MOH priorities, and other local context and available resources.
- Manage and mentor the project team as per MSH policies and guidelines and implement an effective performance-management program including regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support. Act as a mentor to MSH staff.
Technical Strategy and Vision (10%)
- Develop (update and adapt as needed) and execute project results framework and/or annual work plan(s), performance monitoring plan, technical strategy, and M&E plan as per contract requirements, MSH technical frameworks, standards, and guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact and business development using a variety of communication strategies and media.
Qualifications and Experience
- An advanced degree at the Masters level or above in health (medicine, pharmacy, nursing or other health related field), public administration, public health, or other appropriate area.
- 8+ years of progressively responsible experience managing a complex portfolio of international development activities, including those related to pharmaceutical management systems strengthening.
- Prior experience in working with international donors in Ukraine, Central and Eastern Europe, or the former Soviet Union;
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with government agencies, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID and other donor organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of management expertise and experience.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills. Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with project mission and vision.
- Pharmaceutical management systems strengthening experience under a USG contract instrument, four years of which shall have been in senior program management; strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability in technical support of public sector health care or pharmaceutical finance development and implementation.
- Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated experience in writing professional, concise and compelling documents and presentations in English, and experience in public speaking.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Written and spoken fluency in English required.
- Experience with USAID regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects strongly preferred.
- Navigating the environment: local and global perspective, dealing with ambiguity, organizational agility, political savvy and strategic agility.
- Ensuring delivery of results: functional/technical skills, client focus, managing through systems, managing and measuring work, negotiating, information sharing, process management, priority setting, problem solving and timely decision making.
- Leading with credibility and managing others: building effective teams, conflict management, managing vision and purpose, integrity and trust, motivating others, approachability and developing direct reports and others.
- Core personal competencies: ethics and values, integrity and trust, listening, written communication
- Core MSH competencies: adaptability, communication, problem solving, creativity and innovation, timeliness of work, quality of work and team relationships, resource utilization.
- Travel requirements: Availability to travel domestically and internationally as needed, estimated at a level of 10-15% of time.
- Physical requirements: keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10lbs.
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Kyiv (Ukraine) | Ukraine
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Public Policy and Administration
- Democratic Governance
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2018-09-03