Background Information - Job-specific
THIS VACANCY IS RE-ADVERTISED AS MORE POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT RE-APPLY. THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION AND ONLY UKRAINIAN NATIONALS OR THOSE WHO HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN UKRAINE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
UNOPS Office in Ukraine is engaged in the implementation of the Project that aims at development of the competitive Energy Market in Ukraine. Project supports Ukraine in strengthening its energy security agenda. It provides all required technical assistance to energy sector Government of Ukraine (GoU) entities, energy regulator and other stakeholders in implementation of laws and secondary legislation on the electricity market, energy markets and energy regulator; district heating‐related and other areas as needed, focusing on two components:
• Assistance in electricity market implementation;
• Assistance in improving district heating utility services.
Programme works directly with the offices of the Prime Minister of Ukraine and Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine, Coordination Centre for Introduction of a New Electric Energy Market, Office of Reforms under the Cabinet of Ministers, relevant departments of the Cabinet of Ministers, Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine, Ministry of Social Protection and Labour of Ukraine, National Committee on State Regulation in Energy and Utilities (NCSREU), Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and other principal national stakeholders.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Deputy Project Manager, the Translator/Interpreter provides services of bi-directional (English – Ukrainian/Russian) translation, interpretation and associated services to the project team members, ensuring high quality and accuracy of delivered messages and documents. The Translator/Interpreter Administrative pursues a client, quality and results-oriented approach in delivery of the services.The Translator/Interpreter works in close collaboration with Project Manager and Project team, as well as with the relevant units of UNOPS Officer in Ukraine to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Efficient interpretation services during the Project meetings;
- Effective translation, recording, and retention of information relevant to the project delivery;
- Support for the Project team in qualitative and precise communication with the national stakeholders and partners;
- Coordinate and arrange meetings with other parties.
- Full and precise delivery of bi-directional English – Ukrainian/Russian verbal and written communications between the project and external and internal project partners on subject matters (economy, market and market development, energy efficiency, heating utility, business development, finance and associated areas);
- Accompanying the project team members to the meetings and keeping records of the meetings if and when required.
2. Ensures effective recording and retention of information relevant to the project delivery, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proofreading and editing of the reports, minutes, official and unofficial communications, other documents and texts for the project team;
- Note taking at the meetings, their consolidation and drafting minutes of the meetings, discussions, interviews etc.;
- Maintaining the organized files of the documentation as instructed by the Deputy Project Manager.
3. Support project team in qualitative and precise communication with the national stakeholders and partners, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Drafting project briefs and project updates;
- Research and retrieval of background and analytical data from internal and external sources as assigned by the Deputy Project manager.
4. Coordinate and arrange meetings with other parties, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of meetings and discussions;
- Drafting/preparing background materials and talking points for the meetings
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the project delivery. Accurate and precise interpretation and translation, as well as the recording of the communication and presentation of information, is one of the keys to the success of the project. Incumbent’s qualitative performance is decisive in results of work.
- A first level university degree (bachelor), either in linguistics or related area or in any other relevant area complemented by the courses or any other formal training in translation/interpretation (English language) is required.
- 3 years of relevant experience in translation/interpretation English-Russian and English-Ukrainian.
- Proficiency in usage of computers and Microsoft office applications and browsers.
- Proficiency in oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: Local Support Level LICA 7
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION AND ONLY UKRAINIAN NATIONALS OR THOSE WHO HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN UKRAINE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
PLEASE INCLUDE A COVER LETTER WITH YOUR DETAILED APPLICATION.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Kiev (Ukraine)
- Grade: LICA-7, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: 2018-08-12