Field Project Support Assistant ( Retainer), Multiple positions
multiple duty stations
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peace building contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
The purpose of the position is to support the administration of all project activities in the field and enable proper project reporting and financial reporting to the client.
Methodology and Scope of the Assignment
Depending on the type of activity that UNOPS is required to support provide the necessary administration, logistical and operational support to the client.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Field Project Support Assistant will assist and maintain a database/spreadsheet of all the activities conducted during the activities that they support including participants attended type of training, duration, presenters etc. The database/spreadsheet should enable statistical data at any given time and help in monitoring and evaluation of the performance and progress of the project.
Under the overall guidance of and reporting to Project Coordinator, the Field Project Support Assistant will be tasked to assist with clerical and administrative duties, including but not limited to the following :-
- Obtain quotations, organize transport for participants in the training events, maintain financial records and confirm attendance to the events, organize accommodation and meals, arrange training equipment in support of the event, place advertisements, confirm attendees, prepare briefing materials and project communications accurately and on time, explain costs and confirm payments to be made, keep records, make suggestions for improvements and make recommendations, be the focal point of communication in the County between the donor/ government authority /UNOPS.
- Respond to government authority and donor queries and forwarding queries to UNOPS Project Coordinator to respond as necessary.
- Assist in the production of project documentations.
- Assist in the preparation of pre and post training activities and reporting.
- Have the ability to coordinate and facilitate the training events to the target groups required by the government authority and the donor, and actively particpate and help in conducting the training events.
- Maintain accurate records (both hardcopy and online) for all operational and financial transactions for easy reference and retrieval; document management, including file closures, archiving.
- Resolution of routine administrative and process issues, referring complex issues to the Training Coordinator with recommendations for course of action.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with project staff and stakeholders.
- Take up any other additional responsibilities as may be assigned by the Project Coordinator
- Secondary education completed is required
- University degree in economics, finance, commerce, accounting, international development or related field is a distinct advantage and may be a accepted in lieu of minimum years of experience.
- Secondary education completed and a minimum of 4 years’ experience working in an administrative position or similar role is required
- Conversant with MSOffice, usage of computers and office software packages
- Skills in administration support and financial management are essential;
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA –1 year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
These will be retainer contracts and engagement will only be on the basis of if there are activities that require assistance work
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures.
We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
East Africa Hub
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the East Africa Hub manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The East Africa sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in South Sudan and a portfolio of engagements managed by the Kenya based East Africa Hub office. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Somalia, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya and several island states.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: multiple duty stations
- Grade: LICA-4, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Documentation and Information Management
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-15