Trainee Regional Media Coordinator - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Middle East Regional Office based in Amman, Jordan was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 3,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and Palestine. Our work is concentrated on the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs. NRC operations is in the Middle East have grown significantly in recent years and further growth is expected in the months to come. With large operations in such fluid contexts, the NRC Middle East Regional Office has a stimulating and rewarding work environment, a collaborative workforce and genuine place of passion responding to a region in crisis.
Trainee Regional Media Coordinator - Regional Office - Jordan
NRC’s Talent development trainee programme is designed to provide opportunities for individuals to gain experience in the humanitarian sector through a structured framework of on the job training, supportive leadership and individual training. Trainees will gain insight and understanding of humanitarian principles and functions and develop personal and professional competencies to prepare them for a future career within the sector. During the programme, trainees will work towards defined responsibilities with the objective of gaining the required level of key skills and experience in a specific profile. .
The Trainee will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Media Advisor to support in implementing the Media and Communication Strategic goals. Through this position, the Trainee will be exposed to different aspects of the Media and Communication field, best practices, and tools. With the support of the mentor and line manager, the trainee will gain direct and relevant experience in a Media and Communication role within the humanitarian sector working in line with a structured learning framework in line with the following responsibilities:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Regional Media Adviser and other NRC media staff, build strong personal relationships with core local journalists in the region to establish trusting and reliable connections with key Arabic news organizations;
- Explore and utilize innovative and emerging communication tools and new media in support of the communications strategy;
- In coordination with the Regional Media Adviser and other NRC media staff, regularly package NRC’s success stories ready to be placed in regional print and TV/radio outlets and social media;
- Develop plans for increasing the profile of the region’s programmes through audio-visual material to broadcast and social media, including supporting the update of regional pages on the NRC web-site and other platforms;
- Liaising with country offices to support them to communicate their success stories and results, offering mentoring and advice when needed;
- Play a key role in coaching and mentoring of Country Office Communications staff;
- Prepare periodic reports and summaries for the management on regional media activities;
- Ensuring that communication documents are archived appropriately in an easily retrievable electronic based filing system, including the NRC web-site where appropriate;
- Coordinate with Regional Media Adviser for the gathering, collection, distribution
- and archiving of all multimedia materials from country offices and the region for key media moments.
- Work with Regional Media Adviser in the preparation of media and communication plans and packaging around priority media moments.
- Assist Regional Media Adviser in regular conference calls, meetings and one-on-one relationships with all media and communication staff in country offices in the region.
- Train country office staff in communication gathering (case studies, multimedia, etc.), help with capacity building across the region of staff and partners.
- Design, implement and enforce consistent communication standards, plans, templates and archiving across all countries in the region.
- Serve as NRC’s official spokesperson for regional Arabic media
- Be an active member of NRC´s Global Communication Network.
Our Ideal Candidate:
NRC is seeking a passionate university graduate candidate, with strong communication skills, highly attentive to details, energetic and eager to learn, who is looking to move his/her career up to the next level by developing his/her personal and technical skills in the Humanitarian Sector through understanding the humanitarian principles and functions.
Professional competencies for this position:
- Higher relevant university degree in journalism, media, communications, or relevant experience.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Excellent English, oral and written (sound journalistic writing style), and ideally in Arabic.
- Advanced photography, filming, video editing and social media skills.
- Journalism background desirable.
- Knowledge of the region.
- Knowledge of regional media and communication networks.
- Knowledge of communicating humanitarian needs and ethical reporting of beneficiaries.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and dedication to humanitarian work.
- Flexibility including ability to work overtime on weekends and evenings according to need and requests.
Contract period: 12 months
Monthly Living Grant : 12.000 NOK
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: Junior
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Communication and Public Information
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20