Trainee Investigation Coordinator - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk, Kirkuk and Mosul. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
Trainee Investigation Coordinator - Iraq Office
NRC’s Talent development trainee programme is designed to provide opportunities for individuals to gain experience in the humanitarian sector through a structured framework of on the job training, supportive leadership and individual training. Trainees will gain insight and understanding of humanitarian principles and functions and develop personal and professional competencies to prepare them for a future career within the sector. During the programme, trainees will work towards defined responsibilities with the objective of gaining the required level of key skills and experience in a specific profile. .
The Trainee will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Operations to initially lead on minor casework with oversight from Regional Anti-Corruption & Investigations Specialist, allegations of misconduct such as theft, bribery, favouritism etc. and to assist on major cases. Through this position, the Trainee will be exposed to different aspects of the Investigation and Anticorruption field, best practices, and tools. With the support of the mentor and line manager, the trainee will gain direct and relevant experience in the Investigation role within the humanitarian sector working in line with a structured learning framework in line with the following responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design and delivery of effective strategies, projects, tools and training for countering corruption across NRC Iraq
- Influence and support managers and staff to adopt ways of working that minimise corruption
- To learn the basic skills of an anti-corruption professional within the INGO sector
- Produce high-quality reports to managers at all levels
- Collect and analyse qualitative and quantitative data to understand the dishonesty threat and in support of investigative work
- Research and develop innovative approaches to countering corruption
- Work with colleagues to incorporate best practice into risk and control activities
- Contribute to NRC’s risk management processes and follow all NRC anti-corruption processes and procedures
- Contribute to the development of INGO loss prevention strategies, Anti Bribery & Corruption (ABC) methodologies, counter fraud techniques, interviews staff and basic investigative techniques.
Our Ideal Candidate:
NRC is seeking a passionate, energetic, eager to learn, Arabic speaker Trainee, who is looking to move their career up to the next level by developing their personal and technical skills in the Humanitarian Sector through understanding the humanitarian principles and Functions.
We are looking for a well-organized, resilient candidate, with strong skills in conducting investigation and strong emotional intelligence skills. The Candidate has to be flexible, with strong interviewing and communication skills, critical thinking and problem solver.
Professional competencies for this position:
- Understanding of data and information
- High level English Language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Preferable Proficiency in Arabic Language
- Report writing skills
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access)
- Ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Fluency in English Preferably ability to communicate in Arabic
- Ability to analyse information and “see through” the problem
Contract period: 12 months
Monthly Living Grant : 12.000 NOK
Duty station: Iraq
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Iraq (Iraq)
- Grade: Junior
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Human Resources
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20