Makeni (Sierra Leone) | Sierra Leone
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale is an independent Italian non-governmental organization (NGO) that was founded in 1965. It is currently present in 27 countries across Africa, Latin America and Middle East, where it carries out 200 emergency and development projects and 28 child sponsorship projects. Its major donors are and have been the European Commission, the World Food Program, UNICEF, the World Bank, USAID, UKAID, Irish AID, the Norwegian Embassy, DFID, ECHO, The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UNHCR, UNHABITAT, WHO and FAO.
COOPI has been working in Sierra Leone since 1971, where it is currently implementing several projects mainly in the areas of food security and agro-value chain, renewable energies and child protection.
DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE
OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
COOPI is looking for a highly qualified and motivated Programme Manager to be engage as focal point of COOPI’s program in Sierra Leone. In consultation with the Head of Mission, he/she formulates the strategy for the Sierra Leone mission and ensures it implementation in accordance with COOPI policies, donor expectation, local and international legislation. He/she coordinates and evaluates all aspects of the COOPI projects, and facilitates the flow of information from the field to the capital. He/she also plays a strategic role for COOPI’s external relationships, liaising with donors and stakeholders in collaboration with the Head of the Mission.
The Programme Manager provides support to the Head of the Mission to coordinates and supervises the program country strategy implementation:
- Contributing to the design and update of the country strategy by providing inputs to the Head of Mission.
- Visiting COOPI field activities regularly and reporting on problems, challenges and obstacles while building an intimate knowledge of fieldwork realities
- Ensuring the monitoring and evaluation of the program including the identification of needs and gaps
Coordinates the overall implementation of the projects:
- Ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget and according to COOPI and donors’ procedures
- Taking preventative and corrective action when necessary.
- Ensuring the overall planning and follow-up of technical reporting for donors, authorities and internal requirements in coordination with the support departments.
- Ensuring synergy between Technical and Support services
- Ensuring the implementation of recommendations resulting from internal audit, experts’ field visits, HQ advisors etc.
- Piloting the internal quality control, by promoting monitoring mechanisms (ex: self-evaluation tool), facilitating internal control and external evaluations
Represents and liaises for operational strategy and program to donors, authorities, UN, NGOs in link with the Head of Mission:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and representing COOPI at relevant state level meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Strengthening field and capital level information-sharing with IOs, NGOs and Government
- Contributing to the identification of potential funding opportunities
Analyzes programme needs and response
- Collecting, summarizing and analyzing information from external sources and from technical advisors for future opportunities
- Supporting the project team for proposals writing (narrative and financial) to address the identified needs.
DUTY STATION: The Program Manager will be based for 70% of the time in Makeni and the remaining 30% in Freetown.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in project formulation, implementation and coordination in the development and /or humanitarian context with International NGOs in the following sectors: food security, value chain analysis and energy facilities.
- Experience in working with different Donors (EU, USAid, UN agencies etc.)
- Strong managerial skills.
- Good report writing skills;
- Good knowledge and use of the English Language;
- Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies, institutions and Reference Points;
- Target oriented and problem-solving aptitude;
- Good leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a team;
- Diplomatic and confidentiality skills;
- Advanced IT skills
- Previous experience in the Region is an asset.
- University degree relevant subject (postgraduate degree required).
- Organization: COOPI - Cooperazione Internazionale
- Location: Makeni (Sierra Leone) | Sierra Leone
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-27