Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
The UN Women office in Ethiopia plays a dual role, consisting of representation to the African Union (AU) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and representation to Ethiopia. Under its regional function, the Ethiopia country office engages with the AU and its various organs, the UNECA, regional (Africa-wide) women’s rights networks and civil society organizations, as well as the diplomatic community. Through the office, UN Women provides technical support to member states and the AU in the adoption, implementation and monitoring of commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE), including in peace and security matters in advancement of the Women, Peace and Security agenda as per the Entity’s mandate.
In light of this mandate, UN Women Ethiopia Country Office (ECO) Liaison to the AU and ECA, together with other partners, has supported the peace and secuity Deparment of the AU Commission in establishing the Pan-African Network of Women in Conflict Prevention and Mediation (FemWise-Africa). FemWise-Africa build on the long-standing efforts of the panel of the Wise to streamline national peace infrastructres in the work of the African Peace and Secuity Architecture (APSA). The network is located within the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA), as a subsidiary mechanism of the panel of the Wise and the pan-African Network of the Wise (PANWISE) and aims to:
- Increasing the participation of women in leadership in mediation-related positions;
- Professionalizing the role of women in preventative diplomacy, conflict prevention and mediation in different levels, including Tracks 1, 2 and 3;
- Initiating initiatives that will catalyze the engagement of women in mediation in line with the African Union’s “Agenda 2063” and the global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
Against this backdrop, the AUC Peace and Security Department in collaboration with UN Women is working closely to operationalize FemWise-Africa, including establishing its Secretariat. The two organizations are also working on a proposal for a project, which will support the operationalization as well as the achievement of the overall aim of the Network, i.e. enhancing women’s inclusion in conflict prevention and mediation in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
The principal tasks under the consultancy will be to assist the Secretariat of the Panel of the Wise and PanWise in the operationalization of FemWise-Africa, in particular in the following tasks:
- Facilitate the accreditation and induction process of members to FemWise-Africa:
- Organize FemWise-Africa Statutory activities, including the meetings of the FemWise Steering Committee and General Assembly;
- Facilitate the establishment of a functioning Femwise Secretariat;
- Coordinate the annual briefing sessions of FemWise-Africa to the AU peace and security Council (PSC)/Permanent Representatives committee (PRC);
- Popularize FemWise-Africa among Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), civil society organizations and potential members, as well as partners and other key stakeholders;
- Identify and foster partnerships with potential implementing partners, donors and contributors to FemWise-Africa;
- Provide support in creating and sustaining linkages with similar networks in North-South, South-South collaboration
- Produce knowledge and communication products on FemWise and its priority themes
- Provide support in the Capacity-building and Training program for network members;
- Provide support in the preparation and monitoring of Mission Deployments and Quick impact projects organized with the Panel of the Wise and AU Special Representatives and AU High Representatives
The specific deliverables under the consultancy will consist of the following:
- Develop an induction package for new FemWise-Africa members;
- Provide support in the preparation and operationalization of the FemWise-Africa Roster;
- Continue to provide support in the development and implementation of the preliminary strategic plan 2017-2020 for FemWise-Africa and an accompanying resource mobilization plan with support from the Panel of the Wise Secretariat
- Initiate the recruitment of project staff and consultants for the Secretariat of FemWise-Africa including through the preparation of TORs
- Oversee the development of a visibility strategy for FemWise-Africa
- Provide support in the production of communication material for the popularization of FemWise-Africa and the accreditation process;
- Develop knowledge products on FemWise priority areas.
Compliance with UN Core Values
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, International Studies, Political Science, Media Studies or another relevant field.
- Comprehensive and documented knowledge of issues related to gender equality and women’s rights and peace and security in Africa. Knowledge of issues related to conflict prevention and mediation will be considered an advantage.
Years of experience
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience working on gender equality and peace and security related issues in Africa.
- Previous experience working with the United Nations system, the African Union or other inter-governmental organizations will be considered an advantage.
- Experience working with network establishment, operationalization and management will be considered an advantage.
Language and other skills
- Excellent knowledge of written and oral communication in English.
- Command of French will be considered an advantage.
- Full command of Microsoft applications, particularly Word and Excel, and other relevant software