Programme Finance Associate (open to Senegalese nationals & residents only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the Programme Finance Associate is responsible for helping ensure the provision and the execution of programme finance services and the effective and transparent utilization of financial resources including the integrity of financial and administrative services. The incumbent promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Programme Finance Associate leads the project support staff and works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams in the Regional Offices, Country Offices and UN Women HQ for resolving together complex programme and financial-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Administration and implementation of operational strategies2. Support of Regional Office programme management, and effective cost recovery3. Accounting and administrative support4. Support to implementation of the resource mobilization strategy5. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters
1. Administration and implementation of operational strategies
• Work in full compliance with UN/UN Women rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial records/ reporting system and facilitate and coordinate follow-up on audit recommendations; and the implementation of effective internal controls, in addition to the proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.• Contribution to the Regional Office Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management.• Support Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements
2. Support of Regional Office programme management, and effective cost recovery
• Sending project budget to KK (if authorized and on the basis of signed project documents and project budgets).• Verification in Atlas matching, help ensure implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system, control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow up with HQs on ASL for development projects, maintenance on the General Ledger.• Provision of the information/reports on the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, proposal of solutions.• Accuracy verification and Combined Delivery Reports.• Regular monitoring of the Regional Office delivery.• Provision of advice on financial reporting.• Facilitate preparation of reports including donor reports.• Verification and reconciliation of various expenditures reports from COs, HQ and Execution partners.• Periodic monitoring of dashboards and exceptions, identification of the remedial actions in coordination with the supervisor.• Provision of information for the audit of projects and support to the implementation of audit recommendations.
3. Accounting and administrative support.
• Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports to projects; preparation of all types of vouchers.• Approval of vendors in Atlas, ensuring accuracy in ATLAS• Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.• Timely accounts closure.• Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.• Management of cash receipts and petty cash.• Follow up on VAT reimbursements.• Contribution to effective execution of operational strategies, focusing on accuracy and conformity with the established administrative rules and regulations.• Support to ensure well managed asset management and provides related administrative services, i.e. pouch, travel arrangements and processing of travel entitlements.• Assist in capacity assessments of finance function of IPS and ability to meet financial reporting requirement.• Guidance to IP partners on request for the preparation of Financial Reports/FACE forms in accordance with UN Women procedures.• On request proper and timely processing of IP advances to NGOs and Government partners, in accordance with UN Women policy and internal control framework.• Tracking of outstanding advances and prompt follow up of overdue Financial Reports.• Review of Financial Reports received including, on a sample basis, obtaining and reviewing expenditure against source documents maintained by the IP; raising any significant issues with the supervisor and project manager for resolution.• Maintain auditable records of all expenditure reviewed against source documents by Implementing Partner and project.• Unless written authorization is received from the Operations Manager, ensuring that at least 80% of advances are accounted for before issuing the next IP advance.• Control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NIM projects; preparation of relevant vouchers i.e. payment vouchers, APJVs and GLJVs when necessary.• Help ensure audits of projects carried out in accordance with UN Women procedures and follow up timely receipt of reports and correction of weaknesses and other issues identified by auditors.
4. Support to implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
• Monitoring of cost-sharing contributions, preparation of budget association.• Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for projects and follow-up with partners on contributions.• Sound support to Programme and Project Staff on different donor reporting requirements; monitoring of financial reports to be submitted to donors.
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters
• Guidance to the UN Women country and project field offices on routine administration of projects, tracking use and support preparation of reports on utilization of financial resources.• Routine advice to project staff on UN Women administrative and NGO reporting, in particular, on budgetary issues.• Facilitate organization of training for the Operations/Project/Programme Staff on financial management.• Compilation of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance.• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of ResultsThe key results have an impact on effective operational management and implementation of programmes. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UN Women’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES• Thorough knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles.• Excellent knowledge and application skills of IT tools and management systems.• Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems.• Good analytical skills and results orientation.• Client oriented approach to work.• Skills to manage relationships and communicate.
Required Skills and Experience
Education:Secondary education is required.Specialized certification in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration, and/or University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences a desirable asset.
Experience:7 years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration or programme support is required at the national or international level. Proficiency in using computers and standard office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems required.
Language Requirements:Fluency in English and French is required.