Project Officer, Institutional Strengthening Phase VIII (ODS VIII)
UNDP Bangladesh is supporting the Government to find innovative solutions to its development challenges based on the Country Programme Document and signed United Nations Development Assistance Framework for Bangladesh 2017-2020. 2.2. OUTCOME 2 SUSTAINABLE AND RESILIENT ENVIRONMENT Falling under the UNDAF Priority area of PLANET, the Outcome is stated as: By 2020, relevant State institutions, together with their respective partners, enhance effective management of the natural and man-made environment focusing on improved sustainability and increased resilience of vulnerable individuals and groups.
BGD/SEV/77/INS/47 - Institutional Strengthening Phase VIII- project will allow the National Ozone Unit(NOU) at the Department of Environment(DoE) to continue to plan, organize, direct and coordinate all activities required for the implementation of Bangladesh’s strategy in all areas related to the Phase-out of Ozone Depleting Substances(ODS) under the Montreal Protocol (MP). This project extends institutional strengthening support to the NOU for two additional years of operation. The project will allow the NoU to continue to plan, organize, direct and coordinate all activities required for the implementation of Bangladesh’s strategy in all areas related to the Phase-out of ODS under the MP. The grant requested to the Montreal Protocol Multilateral Fund (MLF) by the Government of Bangladesh (GoB) is US$ 166,400. This was approved at the 77st Meeting of the Executive Committee of MLF held in November 2016.
The overall responsibilities of the Project Officer will be to support National Ozone Cell of Department of Environment (DoE) to Implement Multilateral Fund (MLF) Projects in DoE.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of UNDP Programme Specialist Environmental Sustainability and Energy, the incumbent will be responsible specifically for
- Review of updated ODS related technologies time to time;
- Organizing training/ meeting/ seminar/ workshop etc organized by the Project as well as UNDP
- Conduct survey on ODS import and consumption;
- Disseminate and create awareness about negative impacts of Ozone layer depletion;
- Maintain liaison with relevant agencies, ODS importers and ODS users;
- Facilitate necessary correspondence with local agencies and stakeholders;
- Keep records of ODS related current publication and technology up gradation;
- Preparation of Monthly Report for Prime Minister’s Office, IMED, AG Office and MoEF and for UNDP and UNEP;
- Formulation of training curriculum;
- Preparation of procurement plan and annual work plan for ODS related projects;
- Assist in preparation ODS Monitoring and Project Monitoring data
- Assist ML and UNDP mission in relation to Montreal Protocol ;
- Assist UNDP in preparation of new Montreal Protocol funded Projects
- Support to implement other ODS related projects;
- Assist UNDP Programme Specialist in reviewing and updating Project Quarterly Risk, Issue logs
- Assist UNDP Programme Specialist in preparation periodic Progress Reports of MLF
- Ensure timely submission of FACE to UNDP
- Design, develop and disseminate all outreach materials and activities to advertise beneficiaries’ products to target audience and media, including outreach folders and fact sheets, newsletters, blog entries, tweets, brochures, website, photo essays, video and campaigns for broadcast and print media;
- Produce reports highlighting program developments, achievements and success stories;
- Deliver tangible items such as but not limited to posters, video documentaries, new letters, Newspaper supplement etc;
- Maintain a picture data-base.
- Any other related activities as assigned by UNDP Programme Specialist
Measurable Outputs and Performance Indicators
- The project is being implemented under the NIM modality by Department of Environment (DoE) where the Project Officer will play key role to support DoE to implement and monitor all MP Projects in Bangladesh.
- Team work
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaboration and cooperating with others
- Responds flexibly & positively to change through active involvement
- Strong coordination, negotiation, networking, lobbying and advocacy skills
- Computer literacy
- Recognizes & responds appropriately to the ideas, interests & concerns of others, and give due credit to other people’s ideas and suggestions
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds and cultural customs
- High moral integrity, as well as diplomacy, impartiality and discretion with proven ability to work and act with discretion in a politically sensitive and challenging environment
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals
- Generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations
- Partnering and networking
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UNDP
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the Phase-out of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS) under the Montreal Protocol (MP).
Required Skills and Experience
- B.Sc in Chemistry/Applied Chemistry/Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or other relevant academic disciplines from a recognized University.
- Minimum 5 Years of proven working experiences in Chemicals, ODS project or equivalent
- Working experiences with similar assignment with Government, UNDP/UNEP or other Donor
- Experience in communication would be added value.
- Experience in planning, design and implementation of M&E systems
- Good knowledge on IMED, ADP, GOB and UNDP Project reporting
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), other common software for graphic design will be appreciated..
- Excellent command of English and Bangla, demonstrated writing skills and ability to produce high quality reports in English
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Climate Change
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Democratic Governance
- Closing Date: 2018-08-21