National Project Manager
New Delhi (India)
UNDP (Project “Strengthening State Strategies for Climate Actions)
Supervisor: Programme Manager, Climate Change, Resilience & Energy and Programme Officer, Climate Change, UNDP, New Delhi
UNDP is implementing a project financed by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) which supports the implementation of the State Action Plans of Climate Change (SAPCC) in the states of Uttarakhand, Sikkim & Madhya Pradesh. The project aims at strengthening capacities to plan and implement relevant climate actions across select sectors including water, disaster management, forest and energy. Tools prepared and processes documented as part of the project will be shared with the larger community involved in practice of climate change. The project is strengthening capacity of state nodal institutions for coordination and implementation of climate change strategies with select sectoral departments, maximize the benefits through exploring inter-state cooperation; and showcase the actual implementation of SAPCCs.
The National Project Manager will be responsible for overall implementation of the project; coordination with state project management units and national/ sub national government departments/ministries. The National Project Manager will build synergies with ongoing projects and UNDP and other donors. The National Project Manager will also look for opportunities to upscale the project in the states and beyond and help UNDP to develop the next phase of the project.
The National Project Manager to be hired will be based at UNDP, New Delhi and shall work under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager, Climate Change, Resilience & Energy and Programme Officer, Climate Change, UNDP, New Delhi. The Project Manager is responsible for overall implementation of the approved project under the guidance of the Project Steering Committee. He/She will be responsible for partnerships and coordination with SDC, MoEFCC, State Government and UNDP. As this is a full-time position, s/he cannot hold any other job/assignments during this assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following duties:-
- Be responsible for planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring the activities of the project;
- Develop overall project annual work plan and critical results path in consultation with PMUs, monitor activities of the Project and ensure accurate and timely reporting to UNDP and SDC;
- Ensure 100% delivery against planned project results and financial delivery targets in the workplan. Closely track slippage against work plan and take corrective action;
- Develop and finalize Terms of reference for consultants/ consultancy firms to be hired to undertake project activities;
- Commission activities like research studies, state level assessments training workshops etc. and manage the operational aspects of procurement, event management, logistics etc. in coordination with UNDP and state level Project Management Unit;
- Guide and manage the project team consisting of three state teams (Uttarakhand, Sikkim and Madhya Pradesh) and project staff based at MoEFCC;
- Foster partnerships with key national and state government departments and relevant technical institutions working on climate change issueDevelop training need assessment exercise, formulate and capacity development plan with inputs from state project managers;
- Manage and track contracts with project partners and flag any potential risks and suggest its mitigation measures. Ensure timely contract management and payments;
- Undertake review meetings with partners and field visits to track progress made in implementation of the project and take corrective action as required;
- Review quality and consistency of reports and deliverables by partner institutions/ responsible parties including financial reports from all project partners;
- Regular financial management and reporting as per the UNDP financial guidelines; Ensure effective financial management and reporting as per the UNDP financial guidelines;
- Prepare half yearly progress reports for UNDP and donor, prepare presentations and other documents for project steering committee and review meetings as required by UNDP;Facilitate and participate in the periodic review meetings and discussions related to project implementation, monitoring and follow-up;
- Supervise the work of team members or consultants, as may be recruited;
- Establish linkages with international adaptation and mitigation best practices on combating climate change;
- Take lead on upscaling the project activities through developing new project/programme;
- Any other responsibility related to the project assigned by the Programme Manager, Climate Change, Resilience & Energy and Programme Officer, Climate Change, UNDP.
- In-depth knowledge of environmental and climate change related concepts, theories, policies and practices;
- Good understanding of current issues related to climate change and environment at the national and sub-national levels;
- Good understanding of climate change modelling tools, vulnerability assessment frameworks
- Adequate experience in multi-state project management on climate change/environment;
- Hands-on experience in design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of climate change projects.
- Ability to lead the Project Management Team at national and state level.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to guide the state programme managers in developing and implementing coherent suite of interventions at the state level to achieve the overall objective of the project.
- Ability to lead consultative meetings at national and state level with partners and senior stakeholders to identify priorities and manage the timely delivery of project activities.
- Reliable in delivering own parts of the work as part of a team effort
- Good facilitation and communication skills
- Ability to carry out research and communicate strategic pieces that guide decisions on strategic programme directions
- Tailors and presents information to diverse audiences using a variety of communication delivery methods (e.g., written, electronic, oral, interpersonal) Documentation
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree from a recognized institution in environmental science/sustainable development/ Social sciences/ public policy.
- At least 12 years of Programme/project management experience
- At least 7 years of relevant post Masters Experience at the national level on climate change and related programmes
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills
- Experience of working with Central and/or State Governments/ NGOs/ Civil Society on similar assignments will be preferred.
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international orgfanisations and national and State Governments.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is essential.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English and Hindi
Remuneration package is INR 191,092 per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which includes medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for the contract holder and encourages work life balance.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New Delhi (India)
- Grade: SB-5, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-24