National Consultant: Capacity Building Needs Assessment
Vientiane (Lao )
The SAFE Ecosystems Project
The UNDP-GEF Sustainable Forest and Land Management in the Dry Dipterocarp Forest Ecosystems of Southern Lao PDR Project (SAFE Ecosystems Project) aims to support the government of Lao PDR to facilitate a transformative shift towards sustainable land and forest management in the forested landscape of Savannakhet Province. This sustainable management will help to secure critical wildlife habitats, conserve biodiversity and maintain a continuous flow of multiple services such as the provision of quality water and flood prevention. The project will be implemented over a period of six-years from May 2016 to May 2022 by the Department of Forestry (DOF) under the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
The Dry Dipterocarp Forest (DDF) ecosystems located in Savannakhet Province are recognized for being globally important as habitat for a number of globally significant and threatened species, and nationally important for their provision of numerous ecosystem services that benefit the people of Lao PDR. In recent decades, DDF ecosystems and the species within them have come under increasing threat from large-scale conversion of forest, degradation of forest ecosystem services, and species loss.
Recognizing their global and national importance, the Government of Lao PDR (GoL) has prioritized the conservation and sustainable management of the Dry Dipterocarp Forests landscape of Savannakhet province. As a measure of the GoL’s commitment to the DDF landscape, it has selected this area to be the site of the newest National Protected Area in the country, and as a demonstration site for testing the implementation of new national policies and processes related to Strategic Environmental Assessment, Integrated Spatial Planning, and High Conservation Value Forests. The GoL has also identified this landscape as suitable for the development and implementation of innovative financing mechanisms for sustainable forest management and protected area management, as well as community participation in protected areas management, ecotourism programs, and livelihoods programs linked to conservation outcomes through formal Conservation Agreement mechanisms.
This SAFE Ecosystems Project will seek to strengthen land and resource use planning capacities and procedures, and the policies and regulations that govern them, while simultaneously expanding and strengthening the management of resources on the ground by government agencies, local communities and private sector actors. Furthermore, the project is developing innovative financing mechanisms and programs (including ecotourism and livelihoods programs) that can ensure the sustainability of improved land use and resource management approaches.
See more on the TOR
Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision of the UNDP Head of Natural Resources Management and Climate Change Unit and the SAFE Ecosystems Project - National Project Director and Project Manager, the consultant will be required to undertake the following duties:
· Prepare a stakeholder analysis to identify all stakeholders and actors involved in sustainable land and forest management
· Conduct extensive field missions to hold meetings and consult with relevant stakeholders including SAFE Ecosystems Project team, Government of Lao PDR (DAFOs, PAFO of Savannakhet and DOF in Vientiane) and other identified stakeholders
· Undertake a situational analysis in order to establish baseline levels of capacity for the stakeholders including authorities, sectors and communities with the most impact and/or dependence on natural resources.
· Based on the stakeholder analysis and situational assessment findings and recommendations, develop a feasible and time-bound capacity building strategy and training action plan proposing different approaches such as on-the-job training, web-based training and technical workshops sustainable land and forest management (especially of dry tropical forests), wildlife management, ecotourism and financial mechanisms (such as PES).
· Develop a monitoring, reporting and verification strategy as part of operationalizing the action plan for achievement of capacity building objectives within the project duration.
See more on the TOR
- Excellent communication and consultation skills to liaise with a range of stakeholders including district and provincial authorities, local communities, private sector actors, etc. and ability and experience to conduct training
- Ability to lead and work with teams and to achieve quality outputs under tight timelines
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English and Lao languages.
- Ability to research, prepare, organize and write professional documents in English and Lao languages to a high standard.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Lao PDR
Required Skills and Experience
- Holds a PhD or Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources, Social Sciences or related field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing capacity building advisory services and operational systems.
- Demonstrable prior working experiences undertaking capacity assessments and formulation of strategies for a governmental agency or related organization
- Demonstrable ability to develop capacity building strategies, action plans, programmes, services, policies and procedures
- Experience in working with Government counterparts in development countries is a plus
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Vientiane (Lao )
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Education, Learning and Training
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Closing Date: 2018-08-19