Admin and Finance Assistant
Colombo (Sri Lanka)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize and coordinate administrative arrangements for workshops and trainings.
- Monitor accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for goods and services.
- Prepare, process and follow-up on administrative arrangements related to official travel. Ensure full compliance of UN rules and regulations, policies and strategies on travel management guidelines.
- Maintain project records, documents and correspondence.
- Maintain the project inventory.
- Draft routine correspondence and documents.
- Other duties as required under the programme.
- Process payment requests, record and reconcile them against yearly project funding request for all activities under the project and ensure timely closure of all open commitments for better utilisation of funds.
- Prepare and review budget proposals for project documents/revisions, especially costed work-plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures.
- Monitor status of expenditures and allotments, record variations and update budget tables as per approved annual quarterly workplans.
- Prepare requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged and (b) availability of funds.
- Prepare financial advance requests to be submitted to Donors/UN agencies on a quarterly basis and maintain bank reconciliation, financial transaction and certification of expenditure reports.
- Oversee and ensure efficient project procurement i.e. technical bids, financial bids, proposals and contracts following the UNODC procurement Guidelines.
- Draw up specifications for the equipment required for procurement in close work with programme and ensure proper operation, maintenance and appropriate distribution of such equipment.
- Prepare statistical tables and standard financial reports.
- Other duties as required.
- Accurately prepares reports and records in the areas of work programming, budget/financial management, and other administrative functions; administrative coordination of programme/project planning, preparation of activities and general office support services.
- Professionalism - Good knowledge and command of planning, programming budgeting, financial management and other relevant administrative policies. Demonstrated ability to provide effective specialized advice in a broad range of development assistance issues.
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; exhibits interest in having two-way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork - Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibility and honor commitments; delivers outputs in line with agreed schedules, budgets and quality standards in line with prevailing rules, regulations and procedures.
- Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession. Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally. Shows willingness to learn from others.
Required Skills and Experience
- A first level university degree in commerce, accounting or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in the area of finance and/or administration.
- Experience in administration of technical assistance projects in government/ international organisation is desirable.
- Work Experience with UN and knowledge of UN policies, guidelines and procedures would be an asset.
- Proficient in computer skills including word, excel and power point.
- Ability to do internet search.
- Excellent command of English language (oral and written). Knowledge of Sinhala and/or Tamil will be an added advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Colombo (Sri Lanka)
- Grade: SB-2, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-17