Rights and Development Specialist
The Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Belarus, where the incumbent will be placed, serves to support the operation of the UN Resident Coordinator who brings together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level. The UN Resident Coordinator leads the UN Country Team (UNCT) and is the designated representative of the Secretary-General for development operations. Working closely with the national government, the UN Resident Coordinator and the UNCT advocate the interests and mandates of the UN system while drawing on the support and guidance of the entire UN family.
UN coordination focuses, among other things, on processes such as UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) preparation and implementation, support to the Government in SDG implementation, cooperation with UN human rights mechanisms, including reporting and follow-up on the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) and the core UN human rights treaties to which Belarus is a State Party, for example the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).
The UPR is a unique, State-driven process which involves a review of the human rights records of all UN Member States under the auspices of the Human Rights Council.
(More on UPR: http://www.ohchr.org/en/hrbodies/upr/pages/uprmain.aspx)
There is a broad range of different human rights mechanisms in the United Nations system: UN Charter-based bodies, including the Human Rights Council, and bodies created under the international human rights treaties and made up of independent experts mandated to monitor State parties' compliance with their treaty obligations.
(More on UN human rights bodies and mechanisms: http://www.ohchr.org/en/hrbodies/Pages/HumanRightsBodies.aspx)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Human Rights Adviser, and overall supervision of the UN RC, and in close cooperation with the UN agencies, the incumbent will provide substantive and administrative support to the UNCT, in particular, on the application of key development principles such as human rights, gender equality and results-based management. Particular focus will be on cooperation with UN human rights mechanisms and support for follow up to the UPR and UN treaty body recommendations.
The Rights and Development Specialist will contribute to reinforcing and mainstreaming cross-cutting dimensions of UNCT programming.
Rights and Development Specialist will:
- Ensure effective support to the UNCT in implementation of country programming processes and products in the area of human rights and development, and carry out legal research and analysis;
- Support effective advocacy on UN human rights related activities in close consultation with DPI and communication focal points of the UN system;
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and management.
Ensure effective support to UNCT in implementation of country programming processes and products in the area of human rights and development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Working with the Human Rights Advisor, assist the UNCT and the UN Agencies (i.e. UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNAIDS) to develop and implement strategies to build and strengthen national capacities and institutions for the promotion and protection of human rights, including through UN development cooperation programmes;
- Provide support to the UNCT, the UN Thematic Groups and UNDAF Results Groups in integrating a Human Rights Based Approach (HRBA) into programmes and activities;
- Support coordination of UN programmes and initiatives related to human right and development; help to prepare monthly reports on progress for the UNCT;
- Assist in developing areas of UN support for the efficient implementation of the National Human Rights Action Plan;
- Support coordination of the joint UN initiative on civil society organizations capacity building;
- Prepare updates on possible or current changes in Belarusian legislation relevant for the scope of these Terms of Reference and provide expert analysis as to their impact on the work of the UN agencies in Belarus;
- Keep track of all recommendations received by Belarus from the UN HR mechanisms and identify entry points for, and synergies with UNCT and individual agency programming.
Support effective advocacy on UN human rights related activities in close consultation with DPI and communication focal points of the UN system, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Arrange regular forums and events on issues related to human rights and development with media, NGOs, communities, etc.;
- Support the implementation of the UNCT’s civil society engagement strategy (including undertaking capacity development initiatives) with a special focus on liaising with vulnerable groups such as people living with disabilities, women, elderly, youth, people living with HIV etc.;
- Contribute inputs for speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the RC system;
- Monitor and propose inputs to relevant sections of the UN website and UN social media;
- Manage individual communications related to human rights.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify sources of information, best practices and lessons learned related to human rights and development;
- Identify international experts, and create a database of their contacts, that are relevant for support to the implementation of UPR and treaty body recommendations in Belarus.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Support increased knowledge and skills of UN staff on HRBA.
- Job knowledge and technical expertise: specialist knowledge of the international human rights machinery and treaties, including understanding of HRBA and its application to development programming; strong research and analytical skills and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from various sources;
- Delivery: assesses the performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into daily work; demonstrates ability to manage data and prioritize tasks; is accountable for task implementation and team deliverables, anticipates constraints and identifies solutions;
- Communication: builds professional networks with partners, donors; communicates clearly; presents ideas clearly both in Russian and English; report writing skills; persuades others to embrace new ideas;
- Leadership: determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solution; actively shares experience and knowledge; generates individual commitment, excitement and excellence; ability to manage conflicts and solve problem.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in law, international relations, political science or related field;
- At least two years of work experience in a relevant field;
- Specialist knowledge of international human rights law and standards and their application at a national level;
- Experience in legal research and analysis;
- Good interpersonal, advocacy, communication and networking skills;
- Capacity to work with minimum supervision;
- Excellent command of Russian and English, and preferably Belarusian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Minsk (Belarus)
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2018-08-27